new 920 rig final thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtep81

Baseband Member
This is the new build I am planning on putting together. anyone have thoughts on upgrades or downgrades that should be made.

cpu: i7 920
mobo: p6t deluxe
gpu: gtx 985 black edition
case: cm haf 932
psu: corsair cmpsu 1000hx 1000w
ram: corsair dominator 6gb 1600
hdd: wd caviar black 640gb
optical1: lg super multi blu-ray burner & hd dvd-rom
optical2: lite-on 22x dvd burner
cooler master v8 cpu cooler
monitor: hannspree 27.5" lcd monitor w/ 2hdmi, 1vga

my main questions are i'm thinking of putting in 2 hdd's and 2 gpu's. will there be a benefit to doing this now or should i wait until down the road and is that psu overkill or should i leave it alone. the monitor will double as my bedroom tv also, if that matters.

do yo mean gtx 285 ? and if so, well that black edition is a premium price, instead of the 285 just get a 295 for a marginally small amount more instead of SLI GTX 285's and then later on when the drivers get better you can consider a Quad SLI setup :D and if you did do that then that PSU would be good but I doubt you'll need too and so forth I think the PSU is somewhat overkill.

Um 6 GB of ram is good but you probably won't need more than a 3GB kit imo

Blue-Ray is somewhat of an overrated thing, if you really want it then fine but i wouldn't spend the money personally, that cooler is good but if you plan on overclocking I'd look at something a little higher on the food chain

Umm and if your getting the p6t deluxe and really want something cool the deluxe with the Palm OC screen is only $30 more and it's pretty cool.

Overall pretty solid just needs a little tweaking

the few people i know with vista gave me bad reviews of it. and the 850 will power 2 hdd and 2 gpu?

im being talked into the gtx 295 but in the reviews people are saying its hot. anyone know a good cooler for it. man, i may have to do water cooling now instead of as my next project.

If your referring to newegg reviews, the people that review stuff on newegg are turds.

The GTX 295 will be way cooler and more power efficient than an GTX 285 SLI set up , and you won't need the SLI set up unless your going to put a considerable amount of time into playing crysis at ultra high resolutions , also Vista is better than XP with the SP1, it just had bugs for a while, as all OS's do, Xp has like, what? 4 service packs? lol and yes 850w will do plenty fine.

The v8 isn't a bad cooler, I was looking at getting it myself, but....
It's overpriced, BIG, heavy, and did I say big?

And you better plan on spending a premium every time you buy a Blue-Ray movie too, from what I know a single Blue-Ray movie will run you $30 easily..

any suggestions on the cpu cooler then. or if its just big, that shouldn't be a problem in the haf932 should it?

If your referring to newegg reviews, the people that review stuff on newegg are turds.

The GTX 295 will be way cooler and more power efficient than an GTX 285 SLI set up, and you won't need the SLI set up unless your going to put a considerable amount of time into playing crysis at ultra high resolutions , also Vista is better than XP with the SP1, it just had bugs for a while, as all OS's do, Xp has like, what? 4 service packs? lol and yes 850w will do plenty fine.

The v8 isn't a bad cooler, I was looking at getting it myself, but....
It's overpriced, BIG, heavy, and did I say big?

And you better plan on spending a premium every time you buy a Blue-Ray movie too, from what I know a single Blue-Ray movie will run you $30 easily..

that is not true, the 295's are well over double digit degrees in C than the other gtx cards idle and load.
ask ricanflow about his temps with and without the backplate.
my 280's idle (witch runs hotter than the 285) is 37-40C on air
under load its 55C -60C on air.

the 295's are running as high as 90C under load.

with the 285's under sli, will not net you as much heat as the 295, since they each have their own cooling and have atleast some space between them for fresh air to get in, while the 295 doesnt, one cooler for 2 gpu's, it just doesnt add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom