New ($3k) gaming pc. M2 drive worth it?

An AIO has same if not less upkeep than an air cooler. Price isn't much different either.

No BS 240 rad cheaper than competitive air (Noctua DH15).
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...=1529117097&sr=1-2&keywords=thermaltake+water

Don't those require a water supply for it to cycle through? Most I've seen include a large clear cylinder that it draws water from/too, which you then have to change out every few months. Sorry, I'm completely new to liquid cooling but you make it seem really easy for even a beginner :D

I pictured something like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W5SB2261

What you linked is a custom loop, an EK one of which I referred to (although the one you linked is still aluminum and thus not really worth the hassle). The units I linked are self contained and sealed. You do not fill or drain those.

Although with the rad portion of a custom loop the same applies as what I said. The only difference being you should drain your loop and refill with fresh water about once every 6 months.

I should also mention that we call those self contained water loops "AIOs" which is short for all-in-one.

Last edited:
Ahh got ya! I went ahead and got the all-in-one unit (my case has the proper mount for it) so I'll try it out. Thanks again so much for both of you all your recommendations and info!!

Just curious, what are your current specs?

Currently have:

CPU: i7 920 2.66GHZ (aftermarket Noctua cooler)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 670 (4gb)
OS SSD: OCZ Agility 120 GB (Win 7)
Storage: 6tb Seagate HDD
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
RAM: DDR-3 32gb
Power: Corsair 850W

It's a good system that's gotten me through a lot over the last 9 years. I run it with triple screens at 5760x1080 resolution. Originally I had a Radeon HD card but it kept giving me grief with the drivers so I changed to NVidia a few years ago and never looked back.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the old system once I get my new one put together (parts should be here next weekend, can't wait!)

Not to be a debbie downer but I'd def drop the Surround setup.

What's the logic behind that? I don't think I could go back to using a single or double screen, lol.

edit: I'll probably transfer me 3x screen set-up to my new PC with the GTX 1080 and get a single screen for my old one (since I have a $100 discount on a new screen). Or I may sell my old computer. I am not going to buy 3 more screens for my old pc lol.

Last edited:
Because it's pretty antiquated and it's more draw resolution wise than getting say a 49" ultrawide which doesn't have bezels in the way. This is coming from somebody who scoured the used market way back in the day to find 3 matching cheap 1080p panels just to do Surround (modified with no bezel). I also still use 3 monitors for productivity purposes but in terms of gaming it doesn't add enough element for the performance drop. This is also coming from somebody who likes to sim. Just find there are much better technologies that have already replaced it.

Ahh I know what you're saying. I use the 3 screen's for much more than just gaming. For example, I'll have my primary game in windowed in the main screen while I play an MMORPG on the left screen and sometimes watch a show on the right screen. Or when I'm programming, sometimes 3 screen's isn't even enough, lol. I could definitely see the merits for having a single ultrawide screen for immersive gaming but I can't give up the 3-screen set-up and I find it to be adequate when I want to put the game up on all 3 screens and feel immersied.

As you said, the productivity is worth it.

Ahh I know what you're saying. I use the 3 screen's for much more than just gaming. For example, I'll have my primary game in windowed in the main screen while I play an MMORPG on the left screen and sometimes watch a show on the right screen. Or when I'm programming, sometimes 3 screen's isn't even enough, lol. I could definitely see the merits for having a single ultrawide screen for immersive gaming but I can't give up the 3-screen set-up and I find it to be adequate when I want to put the game up on all 3 screens and feel immersied.

As you said, the productivity is worth it.
Yes, but something like the 49" Ultrawide from Samsung would be a lot less GPU intensive and leave extra ports for additional monitors ;) Not to mention, no finagling with the bezel BS. I'm still using 3 monitors and plan to add a 4th pretty soon above my main monitor. I don't do multiple games or run a show needlessly while gaming, but instead have all kinds of other info stuff going, multiple RDPs, etc. Idk, Surround just isn't worth it to me. If I want real immersion I pick up the VR headset for the sim games.

Back
Top Bottom