needing some wise decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

0tz

In Runtime
Im confused with the so long issue of AM2 and 939. Ive searched all threads containing the topic but still confused. I dont know which among these two will I buy. Heres what Im confused about:

AMD Socket 939
-DDR400 max memory, proven stability performance
-nice pricing, many in TF uses this socket

AMD Socket AM2
-new technology, although a little performance difference from 939, this is the holding point for upcoming new technology as what they say
-DDR2 800 max memory support as far as I know, have some issues in memory controller and ddr2 800
-a little or nearly the same in pricing

Which should I choose? 939 which proven its best among consumers and stable, or am2 which readies me for future processors but have some issues? Exactly what are the issues that am2 have?

Please no suggestions in Conroes. I know they are faster than any amd cpus here around with their new 65nm process and etc.

well you seem to have found the main differences although i have one correction for you.

-DDR2 800 max memory support as far as I know, have some issues in memory controller and ddr2 800

that is backwards. DDR2-800 has been found to be the most compatable.

really i can't tell you what to do, it seems you have the main facts needed to make a decision. you have s939 which is well proven, especially in terms of the motheboards available, however will have no future processor upgrades. then you have AM2, the downside of which would be finding a proven motherboard (in my opinion). in my opinion the glitches in the memory controller are really only a minor issue as i would be buying AM2 only for its future upgradeability, an upgraded processor should have a revised memory controller with these bugs ironed out. from what i hear the problems can be avoided by using DDR2-800. overall in my opinion AM2 is probably the better choice if you think you would prefer to upgrade the processor in future rather than the whole computer. if you think you can upgrade the whole pc i would get s939 for now

Well you can see my current pc in my sig and it stinks. The problem with am2 is, i cant find ddr2 800 sellers here.

Do you mean if I use ddr2 533 memory, i will have some problems?that's the only memory frequency that i can see in my favorite dealers. :( Regarding the mobo, i choose msi k9n neo-f nforce 550. is that ok?

I wanted to buy pc so long since june when i first posted here. T_T For me if possible I want to go am2 for future processor upgrade and will not give me headaches in thinking what parts should I buy first then next. What do you think?

Have some donations sir? hehe ^_^

0tz, good luck, i was the same way but i am now going to conroe, i couldn't decide between the two for the same reasons you have. 'cept i was under the impression it had to be 800 memory. guess i was wrong. i'm still learning. so apparently the problems were with the lower DDR2 memory and the 800 might be good. i was close to deciding on waiting till AM2 was out a little while longer and see if the problems got resolved. or a solution was found. my main goal is to have a good stable system, mine doesnt have to be the fastest i just want good enough and stable. if you are going to upgrade at all your only choice is AM2 at the moment. good luck.

0tz said:
Well you can see my current pc in my sig and it stinks. The problem with am2 is, i cant find ddr2 800 sellers here.

Do you mean if I use ddr2 533 memory, i will have some problems?that's the only memory frequency that i can see in my favorite dealers. :( Regarding the mobo, i choose msi k9n neo-f nforce 550. is that ok?

I wanted to buy pc so long since june when i first posted here. T_T For me if possible I want to go am2 for future processor upgrade and will not give me headaches in thinking what parts should I buy first then next. What do you think?

Have some donations sir? hehe ^_^

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I'm going Conroe.

Please, don't tell me your PC stinks. Imagine how I feel. :p

It doesn't even surpass minimum specs for Vista.

Plus, as you can see, it's a Dell. The only decent things about it are the monitor and the speakers.

Getting myself Conroe system will spend me too much especially on the motherboard. Still have limited budget and since AMD dropped their prices that's why im thinking of that option..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom