Need your opinion on what is possible for my small workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmtstech

Beta member
I currently work in a very small office (3 people total) and our server is so noisy and obnoxious. I feel like there should be a solution to this problem because I feel like we are using a server with much more than we really need for the work we do. Here are the basic things we need to be able to do on our system:

We access files from each of our computers which we store on the server

We have company email through outlook

We send and receive faxes through the server

A couple of programs we use have licensing for multiple computers that runs from the server

We have multiple printers that everyone needs to access

Other than that there isn't much else we really require to work. I know we also have a separate computer for a firewall but I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary or not (I assume it is with the setup we have currently). So Here are my questions:

Is it possible with such a small amount of employees that there is a sort of beefed up PC that could execute everything we need to do without having this monstrosity of a server in our office? And if there is, any recommendations would be nice of some pre-built computers and what you feel the requirements would be of the systems themselves.

If that is not a possibility, then are there servers out there that are much smaller and quieter than ones from say 7 years ago? And some recommendations on those would be very helpful as well.

I have a feeling that a nicely spec'd PC would be more than capable of doing what we need in our situation and I also have a hunch that its much easier to come by that vs a quiet small business server at a low cost.

Your help is much appreciated and please feel free to ask for any information you need about our setup and I will do my best to get you the information if its needed to help with advise. Ideally we are looking for something that is good price and easy to run so we don't necessarily need a tech guy coming into the office all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom