Need your help guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I know, I should of posted this on the hardware troubleshooting section, but this place, has more people looking at it.

So my friend, unfortunately has a Dell. Bought it a few years ago. And today, when he went to turn it on, the power LED, went right to orange. No display, showing up on the screen. CD drive LED stays green, and won't open. He also mentioned, air coming out the back, is really low. I asked him, if there were beep codes, and he said, he didn't hear any. Any ideas? I was suspecting, a hardware failure. Not sure which. I was guessing, motherboard or memory.

I'd really, appreciate any help. Thanks guys.

Dells have the fours lights in the back, ask him that
And b1gapl, a higher-level techie, you didnt post model number...

He said, that they're all off. The only lights on, is the power LED, which is orange, and the green LED of the CD drive.

lol..sorry about that....Dell Dimension 8400. I believe 3.0GHz, 1gb ram, and 160gb HDD.

He said, that they're all off. The only lights on, is the power LED, which is orange, and the green LED of the CD drive.

that is odd. for hardware problems the lights are usually on.

is it still in waranty? if so, just phone dell, if it needs replacing, chances are he will end up with a more up to date PC anyway, it being a few years old. (Although just last year dell managed to replace my dads Ti4600... they must keep loads of old hardware back for replacements maybe...)

No four lights means pre-BIOS failure. Amber light means hardware failure. Its either memory, g-card, or the network card. But its most likely memory.

OK, I have some spare, ram I can let him borrow. It's DDR. Do you think that will work?

ddr-what?, the system needs ddr2-400 or ddr2-533, if he has two memory pieces, he could try one at a time

Crap, I don't have a spare DDR2, but I will do what you said. And will report back. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom