Need Video Editing Workstation -- Have around $4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisfatefulhour

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I'm looking to build the most powerful video editing workstation I can afford. I edit feature films and have previously used mac computers mostly, though I built my own PC in college. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 Weeks

Budget Range: Around $4500 including a Monitor, preferably 27"

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing (A lot of After Effects)

Parts Not Required: Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever you recommend, I've used newegg before.

Parts Preferences: Whatever is the best

Overclocking: Sure why not

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure

Monitor Resolution: have one 24 at 1920 x 1080, need one more monitor

Additional Comments: I just want power!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I have come up with so far:

2 6-core processors: either Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.5GHz Six Core 15MB 95W or i7 -3960x?? Relative newbie coming back to the PC world, so don't laugh too hard if my research is off.

PNY Quadro 4000 2 GB Video card.

DDR3 1600 32 GB Ram

Firewire 800 pci-e card (Lots of external storage)
Esata pci-e card

Motherboard: Help!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm completely open to suggestions. I just want to make the best Video Editing/Rendering PC I can for around that price. I'll be using Premiere mostly along with After Effects. Thanks very much!

Well, a few questions first. Is this your job, or just a very serious hobby? And is video editing all the PC will be used for? Do you have a keyboard/mouse? Here's my take, I'll try to leave room for a k/m.

Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K $324.99

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard $289.99

RAM: Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model 997018 $104.99

GPU(s): Newegg.com - XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $449.99

PSU: Newegg.com - OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom $293.99

Case: Personal choice, but I'd go for an ATX full tower case so you have plenty of room for drives.

SSD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 Series - MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $239.99

HDD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x3 $359.97

ODD: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS $94.99

CPU Cooling: Newegg.com - CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99

Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 $204.99

Total: $2478.88

A few notes. I know some people will disagree with me on the RAM, but I figure since it's in the budget you might as well go with a 2*8 16gb kit, and Mushkin is a good brand, IMHO. You could go with another GPU or two, and even a better one, but since I put the 2600k in the build, and you said you were open to overclocking, I figured your rendering times would already be pretty fast, and the 6950 just adds a little more to that. I have that PSU, and it's great. Granted, it's very overkill for this build, but it's in your budget and will leave plenty of room for upgrades later on. You could also throw in a RevoDrive to replace that Vertex 3, but that's your decision. I threw in 3 1tb HDD's so you'll have ample storage. You can always change that as well. And with the case, like I said just look on Newegg at their ATX full tower cases and find one you like. I know someone will say something about the cooling too, but at this budget why not liquid cool it? Especially if you plan on doing some OC'ing. Like I said, this is just my take on the build, check out what others think too, before you make a decision. Oh, and what OS do you want? I'm assuming 7 Pro/Ultimate? I also left room in the budget for this.

Thanks for the reply! It's my job :). My only concern is that the configuration won't be powerful enough. I have deadlines and fast rendering is top priority. I noticed your build was $2000 less than the budget, totally cool but why not max it out for crazy power? That's really what I'm looking for, something that is just insane.

I currently have the 17" macbook pro with a quad core 2.2 GHz i7 and 8gb of ram and let me tell you... it absolutely crawls with the stuff I have to render. It drives me insane. Think 4k footage rendering!

What say you !? :)

CPU: $600 Intel i7 3930K
Cooler: $100 Corsair H80
MB: $320 ASUS P9X79 Pro
RAM: $285 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS9
SSD: $235 240GB Mushkin Chronos SATA III
HDD: $240 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green (x2 for RAID 1)
GPU: $1,750 PNY Quadro 5000 2.5GB
PSU: $170 OCZ ZX 850W Gold

Total so far is $3,700

Missing: Case, Optical Drive(s), Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse.

*Edit - Came across a monitor that may work for you, and 2 case suggestions.

Monitor: $280 27" ASUS VE276Q 1920x1080 2ms
Case(s): $150/160 Corsair 550D/Corsair 600T
550D (which must be new) if you want something quiet, 600T if you prefer the look.

Updated = $4,140 so you could get 2 more 2TB HDDs for more space, or even double up on that 27" ASUS monitor and ditch the 24" you have.

Not sure if you needed multiple ODD(s) or wanted a Blu-Ray burner/player, basic DVD/CD burner is ~$20 though.

*Edit #2 - Considering how much you're putting into this I would definitely shop around a bit.
us.ncix.com is a great site, and Micro Center usually has good deals if there is one near you.

Thanks for the reply! It's my job :). My only concern is that the configuration won't be powerful enough. I have deadlines and fast rendering is top priority. I noticed your build was $2000 less than the budget, totally cool but why not max it out for crazy power? That's really what I'm looking for, something that is just insane.

I currently have the 17" macbook pro with a quad core 2.2 GHz i7 and 8gb of ram and let me tell you... it absolutely crawls with the stuff I have to render. It drives me insane. Think 4k footage rendering!

What say you !? :)

Then go with the build Roark suggested :big_smile:

I just figured I'd give you a powerful suggestion with room into the budget to expand.

Whoops, sorry about the monitor, I thought you said you wanted another 24" @ 1080p :wtf:

Thanks guys,

Roark, question for you. I see you've opted for the PNY 2.5 GB videocard. Would you say that that is a better option than doing a two six core processors and a pny 2 gb videocard? Thanks for putting so much time into your reply!

I am honestly not a workstation guy, but I do a little research so at least I don't look like a total jackwagon.

From what I've read an i7 3930K can be competitive with dual Xeons because of its overclocking potential.
With the Corsair H80 (or H100) 4.5GHz should be easy as pie, might be able to push closer to 5 depending on your chip.

So using my shopping logic, I thought if you can save $ on the CPU then its worth putting it elsewhere, like the GPU.
Whether the 5000 is worth the premium over the 4000 I can't say, but the specs show it to be a superior card, and its within the budget to get it.

I am honestly not a workstation guy, but I do a little research so at least I don't look like a total jackwagon.

From what I've read an i7 3930K can be competitive with dual Xeons because of its overclocking potential.
With the Corsair H80 (or H100) 4.5GHz should be easy as pie, might be able to push closer to 5 depending on your chip.

So using my shopping logic, I thought if you can save $ on the CPU then its worth putting it elsewhere, like the GPU.
Whether the 5000 is worth the premium over the 4000 I can't say, but the specs show it to be a superior card, and its within the budget to get it.

Sweet man, that's good advice. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom