Need a UPS ASAP... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Default Need a UPS ASAP...

I know nothing about Back Up Power supply. I've done a search on play.com and found a Multitude of UPS for sale and was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Computing - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery

Can anyone recommend a UPS System for running 3 Desktops and Laptop, and hopefully other Various equipment if its possible from the link I've provided.

I was looking at this but wasn't sure.

Play.com - Buy APC Back-UPS BR550GI Line-interactive UPS - 550 VA/330 W - 0.05 Hour Full Load - 3 x IEC 60320 C13 - Battery Backup System, 3 x IEC 60320 C13 - Surge-protected online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Thanks.

Spud1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Need a UPS ASAP...

All depends on how much wattage your setup takes as a whole and how long you want the battery to stay on during a blackout.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Quote:
All depends on how much wattage your setup takes as a whole and how long you want the battery to stay on during a blackout.
Thanks for that PP. I have done a bit research and will not be able to afford a UPS Specifically for the Network I have. I have priced a 3KW or 3000W Generator from Amazon for less that 300 at 279.99 Approx. As to what would be a better solution considering I'm running Three tower System, a Laptop, 32" Flat screen and three other Monitors threw a Switch. Along with that, Hi Fi equipment, Switches and all sorts of other things and to be honest I don't even thing a 3KW would suffice.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

A friend of mine has a 4770k 780ti SLI rig with his server that holds a 2600k and 32TB RAID 5 array on an 875W UPS. A UPS is meant to give you a little bit of time to shut everything down in the event of a power loss and provide clean current to your electronics. Not really meant for holding up a whole setup for any prolonged periods of time. A generator won't exactly work either unless you have an expensive one that starts up and provides power the instant you lose power.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
A friend of mine has a 4770k 780ti SLI rig with his server that holds a 2600k and 32TB RAID 5 array on an 875W UPS. A UPS is meant to give you a little bit of time to shut everything down in the event of a power loss and provide clean current to your electronics. Not really meant for holding up a whole setup for any prolonged periods of time. A generator won't exactly work either unless you have an expensive one that starts up and provides power the instant you lose power.
Yeah I knew that, but what I wasn't sure about was what it would take as in to put something in the middle of the Wall sockets and the Generator if I did loose power. I done some research a while ago, when I was talking about being self contained in my flat and I was sitting online for hours on end looking at MRE, Back Up power supply's ECT. I would have to go back and do some more research as I've forgotten. It was some sort of Switch. Can't think off the Top of my head.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I work off of one of those APC UPS devices that is at that link you posted, and I haven't had any complaints about it. I think trying to run 3 desktops and a laptop might give it some problems though, especially on the battery. I'd recommend getting at least 2 of them given that you have a bunch of other devices you may want to hook up to it.

If you have the money, a better solution might be to get a whole building generator.
cogitateinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitateinc View Post
I work off of one of those APC UPS devices that is at that link you posted, and I haven't had any complaints about it. I think trying to run 3 desktops and a laptop might give it some problems though, especially on the battery. I'd recommend getting at least 2 of them given that you have a bunch of other devices you may want to hook up to it.

If you have the money, a better solution might be to get a whole building generator.
A whole Building generator would be too much. I was looking on Amazon at the Generators but need some sort of Trip Switch to sit independently for the Generator to switch on automatically. I saw one Priced at 279.99.

Would sit nicely as well under my desk. ..

Tags
backup, power, surge, ups