Need Upgrade Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digg98

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm back looking for more help. It's been a little over 3 years since everyone on this forum helped me out with a build. You all were great and I got my computer up and running solid ever since. Times have changed and this setup isn't quite cutting it anymore. BF3 runs on it, but my gpu overheats way too fast so the game is unplayable. I was wondering what I could do about upgrading. I should be fine on the PSU, but I don't know much other than that. I know I need a PCIe card, but not sure if I would run into bottlenecks with my cpu or anything.

I don't really have much to spend, but if upgrading isn't too expensive I could make the investment. Would I need a new mobo? Hopefully my cpu isn't too bad. I could overclock it to about 3.2 if need be. Throw me some ideas guys. Not too sure of what I'm doing.

Current Build:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core
DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Really depends on how much you want to spend.
I'd say maybe a GTX 560Ti or HD 6870. You're CPU will bottleneck either one slightly, and would certainly suggest overclocking it if you have a proper cooler and the know-how.

I agree with Roark about the bottlenecking issue. In my opinion, it would be more cost effective to wait and get a whole new machine if you have the patience. If you can't wait, upgrading the graphics card and OC'ing the CPU are about all you can do at this point.

-Draco

Thanks for the input guys. I do not have the temps of cpu while under stress, but I could get them to you later today.

I currently have a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler. I have overclocked the CPU to 3.0 with no problems and I don't see any problems pushing it to 3.2, but you tell me.

The thing is that I really don't have the money to spend on a whole new rig. If a new card could last me another year or two that would be perfect.

As of right now I like the suggestion of the HD6870. It's cheaper and I hope it would give me that little extra edge that I need. And since my CPU would be bottlenecking either, isn't it a bit of a waste for a GTX 560 Ti? I would rather save the $100 for now, but if it's worth the investment I'm not gonna argue.

Basically I won't be getting a new setup. So overclocking + new GPU is what I'm looking into.

I don't mind spending $150 for a HD6870 if it's gonna give me that extra that I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom