Need upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
I recently bought a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution, so I need to upgrade my computer to something that can actually handle the resolution in at least medium graphics settings on today's games. Specs are in my sig. I built this computer almost three years ago, and since then my only upgrade is an extra 7800GT and Seagate hard drive.

I was thinking about switching out my 7800GTs with a single 9800GT, but would I notice a huge performance boost to warrant the upgrade? Also, will I experience any bottlenecking because of my old CPU? I would also upgrade my CPU, but I'm unsure of up to what model my motherboard handles. And if I want to upgrade my mobo then I'd have to switch out everything and I just don't wanna go through all that work.

Price is a factor, so please keep the upgrades reasonable.

Games I will probably play with this machine:
WoW
COD4
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3

Thanks.

What is your price range?

A GTX 260 core 216 I believe will handle that resolution and max out those games well

But it all depends...I'm not too familiar with Nvidia atm

Nothing will bottleneck, really? I was under the impression that my CPU is pretty much outdated by today's standards. An upgrade to this Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops would fit alright into my budget, but I'm just not sure if A.) it will give a big enough boost for me to see a visible difference and B.) if my motherboard even supports this CPU model.

I'd say my budget is around $200ish. I'm a little weary of doing SLI again because I did not see much of an improvement when I switched to SLI. That could, however, be because many games didn't support it then.

Just for the record, this is the monitor that I got: Newegg.com - Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ACM 20000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

I can't OC to 3.0, as 2.5 is my max. I messed around with it a lot, but I can't stay stable on anything higher than 2.5. And I have to go with Nvidia because I don't plan to switch out my mobo.

I'm starting to think the GTX 260 216 core is a bit overkill when compared to the rest of my system.

Can you please recommend a good CPU upgrade that will work with my mobo? I've been away from the PC scene for a while, so I'm near computer illiterate now, lol.

Any comments on the GTX 260 216 core? It definitely looks tempting, but I'm really worried that it'll bottleneck considerably. Heck, would that beast even fit in my case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom