Need Tips and Tricks - Power Gaming PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need Tips and Tricks - Power Gaming PC

This is the basic setup. I was wondering if there is anything in there that could be substituted for something else of equal greatness and compatibility with the rest of the hardware, or more importantly, CHEAPER.

But more importantly, I was wondering if anyone here knew any tips and tricks to running it even more efficiently when I actually build it, like using RAID or better setups for overclocking, cooling, configuring PhysX control- etcetera.

Anything that would come to your mind to see this and thing "It could be better if you did ________ with _______ once you built this", for example.

Also, I'm wondering specifically in what ways can i cool my system, like what would I best be inclined to buy to cool my CPU, Ram, and GPUs and such.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Need Tips and Tricks - Power Gaming PC

Well, I would buy a single HD5870 or a HD5970 if you have the cash. They are great cards and run greatly everything you throw at them. Buying two cards will limit you on future upgrades, you should buy one powerful card and buy a second one when you feel the need.

Do you really need a sound card? The one in the mobo is pretty good. I would try the one in the mobo and if it doesn't satisfies my needs then buy a good sound card.

Everything else sounds good.

ASUS P5P77D :: INTEL i5 750@3.6 GHz :: Asus HD4890 :: 4GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600MHz CL7 :: WD Black 1TB :: SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB :: Corsair 750TX :: LG L204WT :: Windows 7 x64

<<<<<<<<<< If you think I've been helpful in anyway rep me :p
Old 12-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Need Tips and Tricks - Power Gaming PC

The dominators ar nice but very expensive not to mention the fact that you really only need 6gb.
Pick up 6gb of ocz gold 1600.

Go single gpu like farinha suggested.

Try your onboard sound prior to getting a sound card. You may be pleased with the sound quality.

Cooling you would be fine with the sunbeam core contact 120 unless you want serious overclocks in which case pick up a true 120.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread