Need Suggestions For Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ved11

Solid State Member
Hello people I am about to "attempt" to build a reasonably high end gaming rig for the first time and would like to hear some suggestions on some of the components. My budget is <$1600 and so far the only thing ive nailed down is the gpu and cpu. (q6600, 8800gt sli). As far as memory, mobo, hdd, psu go i need some input on what is the best and also falls within my budget.

Just to clairify I have already purchased the 2 8800gt's, everything else i still need including monitor

Coming from someone who has dealt with SLI and the nvidia chipsets, dont go SLI. Just get a p35 board, and a single GTS 512. Some ballistix for memory, either seagate or WD 500gb or 750gb sata hard drive and either a corsair hx520/hx620 or pc/p silencer 610. This will all come in around 1200 bucks. Sli really isnt needed for most games and the headaches you will get with an nvidia chipset arent worth it. Matter of fact, if i dont get my RMA'd board back soon, i might be selling one of my GTS 512s and just going back to a p35 board.

your budget is fine, its in the "sweet spot"

Will you be needing a new monitor, mouse or keyboard? And do you want to use vista or xp?

and so far good choice on mobo and im guessing you mean two 8800 gt's...

If someone more knowlegable comes upon this maybe they will convince you to go the ATI route instead... since 2 3870's in crossfire might outperform the 8800 gt's and cost less... but i'm ignorant sorry...

But if your going with 8800 gt's and that processor go with a 680i mobo. The rest i will wait untill you answer the first 2 questions.

I know that this is counter productive but if i were you id cancel the order on the GTs and get one GTS512 or if youve already got both the GTs then i would sell one of them.

As for the mobo i would reccoment either MSI P35 Neo2-FR or MSI P35 Platinum both are excellent!

Oh, well if you already did that, then i hope you are one of the lucky ones and get an SLI board that doesnt blow up every 2 months.
*mutters something about nvidia being deebs and not letting sli work on intel chipsets*

He already ordered the Video cards. He just did not word it too well..

ah...

what happend to all the GT fandom... everyone is all into the GTS now...

:::

2 veedubfreak

Grr... i just got sent a faulty 680i....its been such a pain in the ***... but what is the problem you claim? cause im planning on running sli on mine when it gets here _-_

I just ordered the 2 8800's this morning and i still have time to cancel or change them (didnt opt for the fast shipping). I was under the impression that sli was more mature than crossfire and stable for the most part. Anyone else agree that i should change my order? and if so to what? any more suggestions on mobo's? also im planning on using xp not vista

I just ordered the 2 8800's this morning and i still have time to cancel or change them (didnt opt for the fast shipping). I was under the impression that sli was more mature than crossfire and stable for the most part. Anyone else agree that i should change my order? and if so to what? any more suggestions on mobo's? also im planning on using xp not vista

The Crossfire platform is much better the SLi platform, and unless you plan on gaming at high resolutions ( in the 1920x1200 area) then just get a x38 board with a 8800GTS 512mb. At 1360x769 i can run crysis on ultra high settings with no lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom