Need some help with a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if you went with that motherboard you'd have to get a full tower. I, personally wouldn't like a full tower. What I did with my first computer was I took some cardboard that I was going to recycle (and did eventually) and made it the exact size of the case I wanted and put it on my desk for a while too see if I could get used to the space...which I couldn't so I got a mid-tower instead. So if you did want a mid-tower you'd need a smaller motherboard like, Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard or Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. Otherwise you will need to pick a full-tower from that list (or from a different site).

I'm quite partial to the looks of this case. If the reviews are any indication, it is has very nice airflow, and IMHO, it is one of the sexiest cases on the market. Will this work for what I need it to do?

Yes, the only downside is there's no USB 3.0, but you can easily get an external 3.5" USB 3.0 if you ever need that...and you'd need a regular ATX motherboard, which won't really lower the performance much from an extended atx.

also, it looks like the gtx 580 from EVGA is a bit cheaper than the one from ASUS. Is there a difference between the two? one is almost 60 dollars cheaper and is a Price in cart only item with a 30 dollar rebate on top of it.

ok so what motherboard am I looking at now then? Im a bit confused with the whole extended MOBO thing. How much does the performance increase with the extended MOBO as opposed to a normal one? is it worth trying to find a special case to fit it?

I believe the only difference, besides the different manufacturers, is the cooling system is much better on the asus card and the fact that the Asus card has a Display Port and a regular HDMI port whereas the EVGA card has a mini-hdmi port. I don't know if mini-hdmi is worse than the regular size or not...but you'd have to get an adapter for HDMI if it doesn't already come with one, if you were to get that card.

The Maximus will be better for overclocking, but this one should be just fine: Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. It will give you overclocking room if you chose to go that way in the future and it is still a very good motherboard.

Heads Up: newegg emailed new "sales" if you can call them that: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...x-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14130590-L05C

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$524.99
Your Price: $489.99
With Promo Code
EMCKEKD45
$459.99 After $30.00 MIR

So, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. As I understand it, these are the current recommended parts:

$364.99 MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
$59.99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$114.99 RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
$224.99 CPU: Intel i5-2500k
$459.99 GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$119.99 PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$119.99 TOWER: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Total: $1464.93 +OS and peripherals

a cheaper motherboard would be the best place to cut...as I'm assuming you're not going to be overclocking much being that you'll be using stock coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom