Need some help with a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats a pretty sweet looking build. So would you say that those parts would be able to last as high performance for about four to five years without being replaced? I want to find a $1000-$1200 ram, cpu, gpu combo that will last me for about 4-5 years.

Well that depends on how long you're willing to wait...Ivy Bridge (intel), and Bulldozer and Llano (AMD) are supposed to be released sometime at the end of this year. Ivy Bridge is 22nm and has 3-D transistors which = less power, greater performance. Nvidia's GTX 600 series is also coming out on the end of this year. Then again...you have to get something some time, otherwise you'd wait forever because something new is always going to be just around the corner. That right there is close to the best available right now and it should play games for the next 4-5 years assuming no new technology is required..

sweet. And i do understand that whole, "free beer tomorrow" concept that happens with computers, but I really want my computer now, so that I can get back into gaming. My current computer was a piece of crap when i bought it, and now it is a virus filled piece of crap. The sooner I can have this thing running GW, Minecraft, and WoW, the better.

Holy crap!!!! That card is insane! I have never seen a card that could take up three slots before. but really, it runs crysis 2 at max graphics at 80+ fps. What more could a gamer ask for? thanks for the build. this is some good stuff.

actually, at this point, im really happy with this build as its going. I think im going to purchase those parts in about a week. i had been having trouble finding a good graphics card to run on my system, especially because i was looking to buy a high end one without going SLI (my tech friends all think that the only way to get good speed is to SLI, I disagree). All I need now is a case that can fit that behemoth card and a PSU to handle all of it

Newegg.com - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
I've been looking at these. Although, you did mention that you didn't like the first case that I gave you which is essentially a smaller version of this one...although this one has more features. It is a full tower case, so it will be BIG. If you don't like that case, there is a list of full towers to choose from; all of them should fit that card: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Computer Cases, Computer Cases, ATX Full Tower, No

If you wanted a mid-tower, there are some that can fit large cards:
Newegg.com - Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,Full mesh design front bezel, comes with Six Fans-1x Front 120mm Fan, 2x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Fan on motherboard tray, 1x Side 200mm Fan, option Fan-1x Bottom 120mm
Newegg.com - Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

These are the only ones I knew off the top of my head (I know the blackhawk is out of stock at newegg atm). You can remove one of the hard drive cages to install a larger card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom