Need some help on a gaming computer build. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys! I find myself in need of some advice again. Right now I'm trying to decide what processor to get. I had decided on the Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor but after reading several reviews on it it seems to fall a bit behind the Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Anyone with any experience with either of these CPU's have any input that might help? Thanks in advance!

you would need to get a different mother board if you want to go with the i5, the 1055T is an outstanding processor, and the only difference i can see between the 1055T and the 1090T (other than the $100 difference ) is that the 1090T black edition has an unlocked multiplier, which only means you have another tool to use when overclocking. if overclocking to the absolute max isnt really your thing, then go with the 1055T.

Also, if you want to go with the i5, im pretty sure, if its anything like the i7 processors, you are going to need tripple channel ram, which is more expensive then the ram you are going to need with the 1055.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the 1055T. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I spent the money. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Personally, I would take the 6 core processor, but that is because I am a bit of a nut...

That said, all the information out there would indicate you want to go with the i5, here is some data to back that up.

Here is the game that shows the biggest difference, but all the links below show the i5 out performing the 1055t every time (That said! it is up to you to decide if the price difference ($100) is worth the extra performance you gain)

Also while I won't include any links, there are some instances where the 1055t out performs the i5 in terms of processing power, though no instances with gaming

Take the below images at face value though, sometimes they can be a bit misleading, but as it stands, the i5 outdoes the AMD in the following 4 games, however allot of the information is semi-vague like as to what settings were used and such.

(the next three images after the first are allot closer in terms of performance, the list also includes the 1090T)
Gaming_01.png

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/269/bench/Gaming_02.png
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/269/bench/Gaming_03.png
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/269/bench/Gaming_04.png

Also, if you want to go with the i5, im pretty sure, if its anything like the i7 processors, you are going to need tripple channel ram, which is more expensive then the ram you are going to need with the 1055.

i5 750 has a dual channel memory controller.

Here is the game that shows the biggest difference, but all the links below show the i5 out performing the 1055t every time (That said! it is up to you to decide if the price difference ($100) is worth the extra performance you gain)

they actually cost the same amount, $199.

that list also shows the 965 quad core processor being faster. but thats only because the 1055 is underclocked, it can easily make it to 4ghz. at 4ghz, i think it would smash the i5.

Also, Unreal tournament 3 is a realitivly older game, and i cant imagine it using more than 3 cores, so being that the 965 is clocked faster and the game doesnt use more than 3 cores, the 1055 is handicaped, basically going down the freeway with a parking break on.

and here is my data to back that up.

YouTube - AMD Phenom II X6 Overclocking Tutorial (NCIX Tech Tips #66)

EDIT: oh thansk muffin man, i wasnt sure about it. thansk for correctng me

Thanks for the correction muffin man, I really need to fact check better on these forums, because obviously people call me on it lol, 5 times now in two days.

Anyway, that is really good to know about that phenom II 6 core, and I think that made the decision for me on what I will be upgrading to soon. I was not aware that those could be pushed to 4ghz so easy, make this phenom 2.55 one which took me a while to get to even 3.1 stably look like crap. lol

i get called out all the time Fox, i think im a bit over zealous, i like helping but sometimes give incorrect information. you get called out and you will know for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom