Need some good MOBO suggestions for my new AMD CPU Phenom II X6 1055T

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hey,

I recently purchased a brand new AMD CPU Phenom II X6 1055T. I also have three new amd MOBO's but I am not sure if the AMD CPU Phenom II X6 1055T will even work on a any of these MOBO's.

Here are the three new and different mobo's I presently own:

MSI 880GMA-E45
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H
MSI K9N6PGM2-v2

Finally, I am willing to purchase a new MOBO if these MOBO's are not very good and if the new one is not too expensive and if it is a very good model.

Can anyone help me by giving me some educated suggestions?

Thanks,

Soar

why did you buy 3 different boards?

according to each board's spec page, that first msi (880gma-e45) board will support the 1055t out of the box, but only the 95w tdp version which i'm not sure has been released yet, so i'm thinking you must have the 125w tdp version which looks like it wouldn't work.

the gigabyte (880gm-ud2h) board will support both 125w and 95w tdp versions of the 1055t, but it will require atleast bios version f5.

the other msi (k9n6pgm2-v2) board, again will only support the 95w tdp version of the 1055t, but it will require the latest bios version available for this board.

according to each board's spec page, that first msi (880gma-e45) board will support the 1055t out of the box, but only the 95w tdp version which i'm not sure has been released yet, so i'm thinking you must have the 125w tdp version which looks like it wouldn't work.

the gigabyte (880gm-ud2h) board will support both 125w and 95w tdp versions of the 1055t, but it will require atleast bios version f5.

the other msi (k9n6pgm2-v2) board, again will only support the 95w tdp version of the 1055t, but it will require the latest bios version available for this board.

Thanks for the reply and crucial info Muffin Man! I appreciate you and the info you have given. Every bit helps because I have gone almost exclusively Intel for the last several years and know next to nothing about AMD systems. The only time I have ever touched AMD was on one build last year that I found very disturbing [bought all the parts new, flew to a third world nation, opened up the "new" AMD processor box just to find an entire line of pins bent flat against the processor]! Just to show you how ignorant I was, I never even knew the pins on AMD's were on the processor rather than the MB! The reason I am going AMD on this build is simply because the I would like to future proof this build to a small degree and Intel's version of a six core is nearly $1000 for the processor alone!

I will be selling my older system that has the Q9550 with 8 gigs of RAM to help fund this build.

why did you buy 3 different boards? Good question...I actually purchased a number of CPU/MB combo's some time back when Fry's was dumping combo's for less than half the retail price one after another, week after week after week. Basically, I was getting the MB for free and the CPU was actually less than cost at the same time...and I found that difficult to resist, so I purchased a shipload of the combos. Now I am happy I did simply because Fry's has since stopped giving the killer deals. You can't find combo prices that low any more.

After reading your very informative post, it appears as if the gigabyte (880gm-ud2h) may be the way to go. I have no clue if my 1055T is 125w or 95w, nor did I even know two versions were manufactured. Ok, the million dollar question...how can I determine which version is which?

I am looking for a MB that might be a little future proof. After reading numerous posts, the MB's with USB 3 and SATA 6 seems to be the way to go. So, this fact seems to set the MSI 880GMA-E45 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard apart from the others. I was thinking a full ATX would be the way to go [I like extra room, and I have a new Sniper case to accommodate a full ATX], but the MSI 880GMA-E45 is a micro ATX.

I was looking at the ASUS Crosshair III and IV's but myriads of people are having massive difficulties and challenges with poor NB and SB temps related to poor seating. Thus, I will not even consider looking at them [time investment is crucial for me now as the new school year has started for me and I have almost 250 students to look after]. I need something that I can put together and not spend 1-3 months [as many have, myself included] troubleshooting MB, RAM, and other issues.

Analog's suggested GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard seems like a fairly good choice too.

I came here wanting to discover if anyone has found an AMD MB with the full ATX factor for the AMD 1055t that works excellent, has a degree of future proofed capabilities, and a decent price as well [I know, I am looking for a miracle, but I still believe in miracles].

Ok, I do have another question...if I choose to go with the gigabyte (880gm-ud2h), is there someway I can upgrade to the newest BIOS if I have the AMD 1055t plugged into that MB?

It's me,

Total AMD newbie

Soar

from what i could find, to differentiate the 125w from the 95w, you can look at the serial number on the box.

the 125w will show HDT55TFBGRBOX.

the 95w will show HDT55TWFGRBOX.

if you're looking for another board still, the one analog listed does look good, it looks like it would support either version of the 1055t out of the box (no bios update required).

if you choose to stick with that gigabyte you had listed, it won't work with the 1055t unless it already comes with a bios version that supports it. if it doesn't come with it, you would need to find another cpu that is supported to use while you update the bios.

if you bought it in-store though, i'm not completely sure but i think you might be able to bring it back to fry's and see if they will update the bios for you.

from what i could find, to differentiate the 125w from the 95w, you can look at the serial number on the box.

the 125w will show HDT55TFBGRBOX.

the 95w will show HDT55TWFGRBOX.

if you're looking for another board still, the one analog listed does look good, it looks like it would support either version of the 1055t out of the box (no bios update required).

if you choose to stick with that gigabyte you had listed, it won't work with the 1055t unless it already comes with a bios version that supports it. if it doesn't come with it, you would need to find another cpu that is supported to use while you update the bios.

if you bought it in-store though, i'm not completely sure but i think you might be able to bring it back to fry's and see if they will update the bios for you.

Wow, you sure know a lot Muffin Man. Ok, I checked the box. It is definitely a HDT55TFBGRBOX. So I suppose we have established that it is a 125 watt processor. Is there much of a difference between the 95w and the 125w besides power consumption? 26% seems like kind of a substantial difference between the two!

I now understand on the necessity of using a supported CPU to update the BIOS. I have a number of the x250's and x965's but they are brand new still in the original boxes and I prefer to not break their seals. I think it may be best to sell the gigabyte (880gm-ud2h) and use the proceeds to purchase the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H Motherboard. There is not that much of a price difference and I did prefer the full ATX form rather than the micro.

I will also check with Frys about the update if I cannot get a good price for the GA-880gm-ud2h . The last time I asked them about it, they gladly updated the BIOS.

So thanks for the heads up on this. BTW are you using AMD yourself and if so, what's under the hood?

Soar

If you are worried about power consumption there is a BIOS tool called AMD cool n quiet that reduces the power to the CPU while its not being heavily used. If you are not OCing this can help limit the draw if that is a worry of yours.

If you are worried about power consumption there is a BIOS tool called AMD cool n quiet that reduces the power to the CPU while its not being heavily used. If you are not OCing this can help limit the draw if that is a worry of yours.

Matt, thanks for the heads up. Being the AMD newbie that I am, I have never heard of the AMD cool n quiet option. I look forward to tinkering with it once this new system is up and running.

Thanks again for the input and new info.

Soar

no problem Soar. I am new also and like everyone had to find out by asking questions. Good luck

After lots of reading, asking around, and thinking, I decided to go with the Gigabyte GA890XA-UD3 v.1

The USB 3 and SATA 6gb's and the SB850 chipset kinda sealed it for me.

Best of all, it was on sale when I decided to purchase it [$139-$35=$105].

Any thoughts on this motherboard anyone? Is anyone here using one for the AMD 1055t?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

It's me,

Soar

Attachments

• 890XA-UD3.JPG
    890XA-UD3.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 890XA-UD3-2.JPG
    890XA-UD3-2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 890XA-UD3-3.JPG
    890XA-UD3-3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 236