Need to server spec my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
A few weeks back, I started my new job. My boss needs me to complete the following microsoft certs.

Exam 70-640 TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, configuring
Exam 70-642 TS: windows server 2008 network infrastructure, configuring
Exam 70-643 TS : windows server 2008 application infrastructure, configuring
Exam 70-647 Pro: windows server 2008, enterprise administrator
Exam 70-680 ts: windows 7, configuring

I need to make sure that I have some hardware that I can play around with. I will be needing to play around with Servers and Virtual Server

I have my current desk top
Kill Kitty - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz, 4x 2Gb DDRII, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P, ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB, 1x 500Gb + 4x 1Tb, DVDRW, Win 7 Ultx64

As much as I would like to get a new rig, I can not afford it right now. However what could i do with my current set up.
I know that my motherboard will support the AMD Phenom 6xCore CPUs. Would like some other suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

More CPU, more RAM. That should about cover it on the server side of things.

I have run Server08 on a P4 machine. You are more than fine with your specs. Just don't run 4 VMachines at once.

I currently do not have much avalable funds right now, but at this stage, i will be looking at Flashing the BIOS and upgrading to a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3300MHz Thuban. This should cool down my box from my current CPU as it does take less power.

The other thing that I will be doing is grabing my extra 2x 2GB Ram modules back from my sister. (currently on loan)

Ultimately, I would like to move on to the DDR3 Ram. So when i do have the cash, I am thinking about going a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 or 990FXA-UD5

I have run Server08 on a P4 machine. You are more than fine with your specs. Just don't run 4 VMachines at once.

I am going to be needing to start with 3 VM. But at the end, i will be needing about 8 VMs. And obviously I do not want to wait a week of sundays to wait for a VM to do it's thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom