Need Recommendations for upgrading Prebuilt PC

jacobross820

Beta member
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/6072200.p?skuId=6072200

So I bought this PC a year ago and it's been great. Its FPS and performance and really high performing games leaves much to be desired, but considering I was coming from a PS4, this blew me away.

A year later and I am seeing the inadequacies of this system. Low FPS, No SSD, all that jazz. I don't want to buy another prebuilt and this has a pretty decent frame. So what I need are recommendations for a GPU, Processor, and PSU (the current PSU is probably not going to be good enough for an upgrade).

If you guys could help this noob, I would greatly appreciate it.

It all will boil down to how much are you wanting to spend.

You don't have an M.2 slot so you could go for an SSD or a M.2 in a PCI-E adapter. An SSD will give you a very nice speed boost. I have my computer set up with a 250GB SSD as my OS drive (includes my main apps), a 250GB SSD for games, a 750GB hard drive for general storage and miscellaneous programs, and a 1TB green hard drive of downloading duties; this setup allows my computer to access multiple drives at the same time if needed.

You can move to an 8320, 8350, or 9590 CPU but I don't know if that will give you that much of a performance boost.

You have 8GB of RAM. You would have to buy a 16GB kit to upgrade since you only have two slots on your motherboard. You would not see much performance out of the extra RAM, though.

A better graphics card would give you a boost in games. There are hundreds of options to choose from with your budget telling what you can afford.

For any major upgrade you would be looking at some more serious cash as you would have to buy a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM as all the current processors require DDR4 (and it ain't cheap).

EDIT: Ninja's by our resident ninja.

It all will boil down to how much are you wanting to spend.

You don't have an M.2 slot so you could go for an SSD or a M.2 in a PCI-E adapter. An SSD will give you a very nice speed boost. I have my computer set up with a 250GB SSD as my OS drive (includes my main apps), a 250GB SSD for games, a 750GB hard drive for general storage and miscellaneous programs, and a 1TB green hard drive of downloading duties; this setup allows my computer to access multiple drives at the same time if needed.

You can move to an 8320, 8350, or 9590 CPU but I don't know if that will give you that much of a performance boost.

You have 8GB of RAM. You would have to buy a 16GB kit to upgrade since you only have two slots on your motherboard. You would not see much performance out of the extra RAM, though.

A better graphics card would give you a boost in games. There are hundreds of options to choose from with your budget telling what you can afford.

For any major upgrade you would be looking at some more serious cash as you would have to buy a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM as all the current processors require DDR4 (and it ain't cheap).

EDIT: Ninja's by our resident ninja.
I see. Basically a whole system.

Looks like I'll go with the cheap route for now and get the 1060 GPU and maybe an upgrade to the RAM. The processor would require DDR4 though? jeez. I'll have to read up on what DDR4 even is tbh. I'm a total newbie at all this.

You would think being raised in a world surrounded by computers where I literally used one every day growing up, I would know more about this.

Last edited:
Go with an SSD before going with RAM. If you can handle reinstalling Windows then you can use a smaller SSD instead of trying to match the size of your current hard drive. Just install Windows and your main apps on the SSD and use your current drive as a game/storage drive.

I see. Basically a whole system.

Looks like I'll go with the cheap route for now and get the 1060 GPU and maybe an upgrade to the RAM. The processor would require DDR4 though? jeez. I'll have to read up on what DDR4 even is tbh. I'm a total newbie at all this.

You would think being raised in a world surrounded by computers where I literally used one every day growing up, I would know more about this.
Your current CPU is a DDR3 CPU, you would only need DDR4 if you went Ryzen or newer Intel CPU.

A 1060 would be a good choice but I believe the 570 and 580s are cheaper online currently. Your choice. You won't get full performance of either with your current CPU unless you overclocked but since you're new to the game I wouldn't recommend trying.

An SSD is also a good upgrade path for the system in general, and whatever you move on to later. You'll see a significant increase in general performance with the OS and other apps as well as loading games.

SSDs dropeed in price quite rapidly in the last 5-6 months so it's a perfect time to get one. If you don't want to spend too much, you can go with a 250GB one which will be enough for your OS and some apps.

As for the GPU, 1060 is certainly a nice card which will provide you a nice performance boost, however expect the ocasional stutter, but nothing game breaking. There are quite a few tests pairing the FX 6300 and GTX1060 on yt, so you might want to check it out first.

SSDs dropeed in price quite rapidly in the last 5-6 months so it's a perfect time to get one. If you don't want to spend too much, you can go with a 250GB one which will be enough for your OS and some apps.

As for the GPU, 1060 is certainly a nice card which will provide you a nice performance boost, however expect the ocasional stutter, but nothing game breaking. There are quite a few tests pairing the FX 6300 and GTX1060 on yt, so you might want to check it out first.
Heavier hitting games that came out last year and this year will hit the CPU hard which will eventually turn into a GPU bottleneck. FC5 is one such game that showed these signs on an overclocked 2500k. This was with a Titan X though.

Back
Top Bottom