need real input on a heat sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
So newegg has alllll these reviews and of course everyone claims they have high knowledge and expertise in their two cents...

I don't know if I believe any of it but this forum tends to offer better information so here goes:

What is a good heat sink for an X2 socket 939 processor? I am considering the 4400+ 89W which is on sale right now as a temp upgrade til I get something beefy when DX10 is finally out next year.

I'm sick of my **** non-dual channel ram setup with a an AGP port that can't allow for a vid card upgrade GARGH!

For right now, I like the blue orb 2 by thermaltake or the zalmans.... but i can't tell from any reviews if they are good or not. I don't buy into the manufacturer's specs and all that .... very bad experiences with trusting them.

a lot of hsfs are good, big name and little...I likeScythe brands.

let's use some shapes...

Thing you have to keep in mind, is if you're shopping for a hexagon and are reading reviews for octagons...it doesn't really help you all that much.

I've heard negative reviews about blue orb and some zalmans, but 95% of the time it's someones personal bias because they didn't buy the right product for their needs. HSFs have myriad designs, both in aesthetics and function.

Let's get some basics out of the way and ask some questions

Do you care if an hsf needs to be quiet?
Do you care if it blows air back(up, down, side) as opposed to blowing it straight down?
Do you care if it has lights?

My main focus for an hsf was how I wanted the air to flow, so I bought an upright, tower type design.

I don't plan to oc so I don't need a super jacked ultra high rpm/cfm fan.

...etc etc

Just try to remember not to buy something because a million people say it's better than X, if X is perfect for you, go for it.

Goood words. I don't really care how it looks seeing how I am not one of those people that want to show off my "box" to everyone.

I just want the picture on my monitor to look good, and having a processor that doesn't overheat is a big part of that!

I like the Zalman one with heat pipes that blows the air to the side since in my case it would probably go right to the exhaust fan.

I second the suggestion of purchasing a Scythe heatsink, the Katana is fine, but theres also the Katana CU if you want looks, and the Infinity if you want to do some decent OCing.

I have a zalman 9500CNPS and i love it. It may be abit noisy but i dont mind since i have music playign constantly and i dont hear it. Its cools fairly well, i have seen cooler temps but it depends on what and how you set up your computer. Its is quite big though, make sure you have room coming off the motherboard to the side of the case because its vertically big.

Are you going to be overclocking? Because if not you dont need to go out and buy something expensive when a cheper HSF will do just find.

I have that exact 4400x2 89watt and a Zalman CNPS9500 LED and it's an awesome combo.

The zalman isn't noisy unless I'm gaming. In fact when I wasn't OC'd it was off most of the time. (turns off when CPU gets below 25c according to my BIOS)

bah screw it. im going to wait til xmas and get something huge. hopefully dx10 stuff will be out then...

for now ill get that 21" viewsonic wdiescreen monitor that looks very pretty

but as for the heatsinks, those scythe ones look fine and dandy.

thank you for the input all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom