Need a Razer Mouse Recommendation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Default Need a Razer Mouse Recommendation

I've had a lot of issues with Logitech mice lately... I need something to replace the brand new G5 2nd Ed. I bought a couple days ago, because the drivers are all wonky and the middle-click is all but unusable. I bought the G5 because my MX518 that had been dying since the month after I bought it had finally broken completely after a short 6 months of unreliable service, so at this point I'm rather jaded against Logitech... besides which, their selection of decent, full-size, wired gaming mice had essentially run out.

So now I'm looking at Razer... except while I've heard a lot of good things about all the Razer mice (and bad things), all things being equal, none of them stood out from the rest in being particularly good or bad. I've heard good and bad things about the reliability, sensitivity, precision, comfort and drivers of pretty much all of them, so I don't know which to buy.

The Lachesis looks tempting, with it's size, precision and features, though it's also big enough that its ambidextrous design may become a hindrance with trying to comfortably reach all of the buttons. And it's expensive.

I've heard a lot of debate between the Diamondback 3G and the Copperhead, as to which one was better than the other, and most arguments were just a matter of opinion regarding the same exact features of comfort, precision and reliability.

I've pretty much head that the DeathAdder is like both the Diamondback and the Copperhead, only better... which isn't very descriptive of it's performance.

Neither is anyone very descriptive of the Boomslang, aside from those who have used one swearing by it and saying it is a God among mice.

As for the Habu, it could be a decent compromise on reliability and price, though at the same time I don't see what's really so great about it. It's just a cheaper Intellimouse (not that I have anything against the Intellimouse, it's just an Intellimouse, and for whatever reason I never got to love their feel or performance the way I did the MX518 or G5, for the 5 minutes they worked.)

Some people have also recommended a Microsoft Sidewinder Gaming Mouse... which I think looks incredibly cool, but also incredibly uncomfortable at the same time. Does it feel as bad as it looks?

So anyway, I want to know what people here recommend for me... my top priorities are in order as follows:
Precision (must be at least 1800dpi, more is better, and an on-the-fly DPI adjustment switch is important too.)
Reliability and Durability (I'm really tired of replacing mice. It needs to perform as advertised, 100% of the time)
Comfort (I have big hands, and prefer to use a mouse by resting most of my hand on it... I like big, heavy mice that are ergonomically designed)
Practicality and Features (More buttons is better, though only if I can reach and use them. Buttons should be easy to click, but not accidentally. Stored profiles, keymapping, memory, etc... are all nice bonuses)
Aesthetics and practicality. (YES, it matters... I want red lights if possible, and to avoid blue ones if not possible, or at the very least to be able to turn them off. I can't stand blue lights on my desktop. Red is superior and doesn't burn into your vision)

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
lolwut?

Default Re: Need a Razer Mouse Recommendation

i have the habu, and i love it. its for bigger hands. its 2000dpi. It feels great to me, nothing special about it over the other razer mouses (which are the best imo)

edit: blue, but you can turn them off in the driver program

Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to Akubane

sorry i cant read all that but for razor mouse I vote the Razer Lachesis.
In my honest opinion the best feeling/working mouse on the planet ^_^

C2D E8400 | Diamond 4870 X2 | Biostar Tpower I45 | 4GB G.Skill PK
Corsair 750TX | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | CM Haf 932
2x Seagate 1TB 7200.11 | Asus Xonar D2X | LT Z-5500's
Razer Lycosa | Razer Lachesis | LG L245WP-BN 24" MVA LCD
Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedplay View Post
i have the habu, and i love it. its for bigger hands. its 2000dpi. It feels great to me, nothing special about it over the other razer mouses (which are the best imo)

edit: blue, but you can turn them off in the driver program
Have you used any of the other Razer mice? How is the balance on the Habu? is it as light as the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubane View Post
sorry i cant read all that but for razor mouse I vote the Razer Lachesis.
In my honest opinion the best feeling/working mouse on the planet ^_^
It wasn't _that long_ of a post, really, but thanks for the vote.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Lachesis is a just a little longer than the Death Adder. The body style and feel was changed from the Diamondback/Copperhead and the Death Adder/Lachesis.

Performance-wise, they are all great. All of them are light and very sensitive. In a way I liked the feel of the Diamondback a little better than my Lachesis, but not enough to switch back.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Is there a place that actually has different model Razers on display so that we could feel the difference between them?

Im lookin into a new mouse as well, Best Buy has like 1 or 2 diff Razers but I dont think they are out on display

anyone know if Frys or Micro Center has these out?

MB - DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
CPU - Q6600 @ 3.0 atm
HSF - Lapped TRUE + Scythe
RAM - 2x 1G Ballisitx Tracers
GPU - EVGA 9800 GTX
HD - 500G Barracuda + 320G Ext
PSU - PC P&C Silencer 610
OS - Windows XP 32-bit SP2 OEM
Case - Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
Monitor - Hanns-G 19" Widescreen LCD
Headset - Sennheiser PC151
3DMark06 - 14186 (3.0 / stock gpu)

You must try some of my purple berries...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All you need to feel is Diamondback/Copperhead (nearly identical) or Death Adder/Lachesis (nearly identical). Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys, Microcenter, ar a local shop that would open up the box is your best bet. Any of these may let you open one up to feel it if you talk with the sales people about it.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
TY, May I have another?

haha reading that post
made my head hurt hahahahahaha
EVGA 680i
Lian Li Pc-A05
TRUE Black Edition, lapped to almost mirror finish.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Any razer is a good razer....:-)
Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
GTX 570 SLI
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
lolwut?

the balance is perfect and it is light and responsive. go to fry's and ask them to open it up so you can feel it

ill sell you my habu, works perfectly and everything