In need of a new windows laptop

It was a corporate environment bro ;). We weren't going to buy several hundred wifi adapters or replacement wireless cards for people. We had a contract with Dell, and a Dell tech came onsite for any work that needed to be done.

People did have their laptops on docking stations with wifi off most of the time. But when they had to take their laptops to meetings, wifi needed to be on to get network resources.

The problem with the graphics was with the board/GPU both. They were Quadro workstation cards as well.

You can't really just "drop in" another GPU either. vBIOS will be different and in some cases won't work properly with the motherboard BIOS without modifying the vBOIS and/or mobo BIOS. I've looked at upgrading my laptop's GPU - and decided it wasn't worth it because of the price of a new card that would benefit me ($500-600 minimum), and possible issues like certain features not working right (or work at all) if I didn't flash to a different vBIOS.

Slow down for a sec read my last post I said it was a suggestion only.
Seriously MAN, if your boss or supervisor gave you go the ahead and limited amount of money to fix all or half the lappys.
I would have looked through the workers list that are needing a laptop daily and fix em up enough so they won't have much of a problem..
If it aint broke for one worker or client thats less money to shell out to fix it.
Also only reason why I asked if the laptops gpu could be taken out.
To prevent a heat issue power issues, if dell allows the laptop to be flashed with a newer bios to allow supported gpus.
I would do so personally, you don't see many laptops you can go into and take out the cheap ass or overly heated gpu card. :/

Why not think about this over time and the next quack job pack of laptops you get don't work.
Think about some ways to turn out the features that are a nuisance and use a better solution.

Last edited:
Slow down for a sec read my last post I said it was a suggestion only.
Seriously MAN, if your boss or supervisor gave you go the ahead and limited amount of money to fix all or half the lappys.
Like I said...service contract. Doing the work ourselves would void the warranty. Might as well have the Dell tech do it so if something goes wrong, it's their dime not ours. We had a limited budget as it was.

I would have looked through the workers list that are needing a laptop daily and fix em up enough so they won't have much of a problem..
A list of several hundred employees for just that 1 model? No thanks ;)

Plus it didn't always occur - it was random and depended on the config of the machine.

If it aint broke for one worker or client thats less money to shell out to fix it.
Also only reason why I asked if the laptops gpu could be taken out.
To prevent a heat issue power issues, if dell allows the laptop to be flashed with a newer bios to allow supported gpus.
I would do so personally, you don't see many laptops you can go into and take out the cheap ass or overly heated gpu card. :/
We did update the BIOS to the newest that Dell had. The updates fixed fan issues sometimes, but still didn't help that the hardware overall wasn't that great of quality or the laptop design wasn't that great.

Why not think about this over time and the next quack job pack of laptops you get don't work.
Think about some ways to turn out the features that are a nuisance and use a better solution.
I don't work there anymore so not my issue. Like I said before, it was during my previous job ;). Now I work for the state government as a software engineer - no more IT for me (unless I decide to do a career change which is possible). Plus, they cycle out laptop models every few years anyway, so kinda irrelevant.

Same one I posted up above :p.

This one is good for the money as well:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-i5-...46?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1409149974&sr=1-46
Link to benchmarks for the card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

May also be worthwhile to check out your local Craigslist to see if there's anything on there.

My bad. I've been posting through Steam browser and it's kinda slow so I just did a quick browse of Amazon and posted what I found.

Link wasn't all that visible anyway, so meh. I'll take it as a +1 to the recommendation :p.

I really like the look of that £635 one - I assume since 2 of you mentioned it I'd get a computer I'm looking for?

That one should be enough or this:

Amazon.com : Dell Latitude E6410 Notebook - Core i5 i5-520M 2.40 GHz - 14.1" - Silver 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 250 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 7 Professional : Laptop Computers : Computers & Accessories

Keep in mind both can play the sim games very easily.
If you decide to do any other games look at the requirements.
Enjoy your purchase. :)

Amazon.com : Dell Latitude E6410 Notebook - Core i5 i5-520M 2.40 GHz - 14.1" - Silver 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 250 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 7 Professional : Laptop Computers : Computers & Accessories

Thank you so much for your help you have been very helpful

Can you look over this one foot me too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IYEUDCY/ref=mp_s_a_1_24?qid=1409238181&sr=8-24&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Last edited:

Since that laptop doens't have a dedicated GPU (only integrated), and it's this one:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD - NotebookCheck.net Tech

It's going to struggle; it even struggles in older games. It has a Sims 3 benchmark on it, and it plays fine at low settings... but trying to play at Medium will struggle, and pretty near impossible on high. I wouldn't recommend that laptop at all for playing games. The generic one PP and I posted or the MSI that OP posted are MUCH better for gaming. That dell might be fine for office/productivity work...but not gaming.

AMD Radeon R9 M290X - NotebookCheck.net Tech

I'd go with the MSI over that generic one PP and I posted.

MSI's GPU:
AMD Radeon R9 M290X - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Generic one's GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

I have an MSI as well (not the same one as that one) and I like the build quality and features of it - especially the "Cooler Booster" function, which allows you to turn the GPU/CPU fan onto full 100% speed by touching a button rather than letting the laptop auto-regulate the fan. Helps keep the laptop much cooler during gaming than letting the laptop auto-regulate the fan speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom