Need new RAM. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Default Need new RAM.

My comp is currently running 1024 MB Mushkin PC 3200 DDR400 Blue Series CL2 Low Latency Enhanced Memory with heat spreader (2*512) And I know I want at least two gigs...but I dont know if I should just add a gig to my current or buy two gigs of something new. Im not looking to overclock, just something to make running multiple programs and occasionally playing some hardware intense games a little smoother. any suggestions on a specific route to take guys?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to reckliss

buy another stick of what you have

Old 04-29-2006, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NayNay1991x

dont buy anything different... if your motherboard has dual-channel facility, its worth buying memory modules in pairs. For example, on a dual-channel motherboard buying two 256MB memory modules will gain you slightly better performance than having a single stick of 512MB stick. This is because dual-channel allows the to modules to be accessed together. You'll need to make sure the memory models MATCH ( Many makers sell them in pairs ) and when dual channel is active you should see a message flash up during the BIOS information at the start...Remember that
Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Content Team

how do I know if I have dual channel capabilities?
Closed Thread