In need of a new nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
Unfortunately the Ethernet port on my mother board has failed me and it no longer works. Luckily I have a spare network interface card (nic) that I'm using right now but it's a piece of junk. I'm plagued with high pings and lag, and I'm being pwned in my online games because of it. I don't want to rma my mobo, I'd rather just buy a new nic. The problem is, the only one advertised specifically for gamers is this:

Newegg.com - Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC M1 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter with a 400 MHz Network Processing Unit (NPU) 1 x RJ-45, 1 x USB2.0 - Retail

But the price on it is insane and I've heard it isn't as good as the hype makes it out to be anyway.

So I'd really appreciate it if someone can recommend a nic that would decrease my ping and reduce my lag. My budget is 50.00 but I seriously just want to get back to enjoying tf2 so if you know of one that's good but costs more, post a link to it anyway. Thanks for advance.

my friend has one, he has crazy low ping in preaty much everygame, they work well ,but is a low ping worth 250$ if your nto a pro gamer, i think not, im sure you can fidn a descent one, if not instead of spending 250 on a new network card get a new mobo instead, like a maximus formula i love mine, and would recomend it over a 250$ nic.

^that killernic is a POS ive seen benchmarks where people playing WOW would get ALOT worse pings then their normal nics

the killernic is just like a physics card, its a good idea, but in reality it sucks and it is overpriced and only for n00bs who dont know any better

^that killernic is a POS ive seen benchmarks where people playing WOW would get ALOT worse pings then their normal nics

the killernic is just like a physics card, its a good idea, but in reality it sucks and it is overpriced and only for n00bs who dont know any better

exactly... your p35-ds3r Ethernet RJ-45 Port is the same speeds at it, but the NIC has a little bit more speed... I don't think its worth it to get a little more speed for $200 do you?

any 40 dollar 10/100 1000mbps NIC will work just as good as your ethernet port.
this one will work just fine:
Newegg.com - NETGEAR GA311 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Gigabit Adapter 1 x RJ45 - Retail

your NIC is not going to really help ping/lag. any card that meets ^ those specs will perform the same. lag comes from high latency from the server, either they dont have enough bandwidth or system specs to run the server they are running, or your card/cpu is heating up (which causes terrible stuttering), or there is a player(s) on the server trying to run max settings with a POS system and running a 250+ ping.
the Killer card is a gimmick. but, it does have that neet belt buckle attached to it :eek:...

Thanks for the link nagasma. But trust me it is true that it can be the nic's fault if you have high pings or lag. I know because ever since my ethernet port stopped working and I started using the spare nic, my pings have been higher and I have seen more lag. And this is on a variety of servers. Also, if I am downloading a torrent while browsing the web, webpages take about 5 seconds longer to load now than they did if I was downloading a torrent and browsing at the same time with the ethernet port on my mobo. I think it's just bad at handling packets or something.

^^ I know, I created this thread to ask people if they could recommend a good nic. I have added nagasma's recommendation to my wish list and I'll probably be buying it within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom