Need new gaming computer advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbrown37

Solid State Member
I'm looking to buy a new gaming computer. After quite a few hours of extensive reading over the past couple of weeks on how some hardware works, reading reviews, opinions etc... I've almost made up my mind on getting the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113122&Tpk=Gateway fx6831-01 . My current machine has 500gb 7200 rpm Sata Hardrive, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 450W PSU, Amd athlon 7750 dual-core proccessor, and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=MSI_K9N6PGM2-V-_-13-130-187-_-Product is my motherboard, Windows Vista 64 bit. I bought the iBuypower rig as a package from newegg about a year ago and it's given me some problems most likely something with the ram. Crashes on games and BSOD so i've decided to upgrade! . I've always went with AMD processors before but the lower end computer I have has an intel 2 core at 1.86 ghz and it seems to have less heating issues and problems. I live in the valley in CA so heat is a large issue here. So i'm looking for some reliable opinions here about which way to go. I play World Of Warcraft but am waiting to start playing again when Cataclysm is out. I spend some of my time on Lotro which is graphics demanding. I also plan on playing Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars:The old republic. I want a machine that won't just handle but play my games maxed w/ no problems and hiccups and the games coming out over the next couple (2-3) years before I have to upgrade it. So should I A. Get the gateway? B. Should I get a lower end machine for cheaper that I can upgrade?

I'm pretty settled on the set up of;
Intel core (I want a quad core such as the i7 but I believe holding up that standard may be uneccesary for gaming) though i'm open to AMD if you can explain to me why AMD over Intel.

8GB DDR3 RAM

And an ATI GPU card.

At least 750 gb+ 7200rpm Sata hard drive.

Windows 7 premium

Thanks ahead of time for any help :] and thanks kmote

I have ~1,400 as i'm also planning on getting a moniter with it as well. In your opinion what's wrong with the fx6831?

Technically, there is nothing wrong with that Gateway but I am not a fan of pre-builts anymore. There are usually hard to upgrade and use cheap PSU's. That is one area you do not want to skimp on.

You could possibly build a machine with an Core i7 920 with that budget which would be more future proof since it uses the LGA1366 socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom