Need new computer, what would u reccomend.. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to kobe24
Default Re: Need new computer, what would u reccomend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Meh wire management is over rated. As long as its not blocking air flow theres no issues. And the 900 should work out great for SLI as it has a fan right next to the video cards.
wire management is actually very important, better wire management means more open space which means more room for air flow, which in turn means u can oc higher.

6800gs ultra
1.5gb ddr400 oem
120gb hdd

The Techies' Bible
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

I dont like the antec 900, and ill explain why.

Your PSU is on the "floor" - so wires are going UP to your motherboard- if that's not weird enough for you (most mobo and PSU are made to have them go DOWN) think physics... hot air rises.. so ... when that PSU gets hot those fans blow up- right ONTO your new Video and CPU, Even WITH good cooling (assuming non liquid/phase) its NEVER a good idea to blow HOT air onto something your tryin to keep cool.

Prices have changed quite a bit- that set ups almost like what I want, 22" moni included runnin round 1500, minus the Sli of course.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
krazy Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisskerven View Post
I dont like the antec 900, and ill explain why.

Your PSU is on the "floor" - so wires are going UP to your motherboard- if that's not weird enough for you (most mobo and PSU are made to have them go DOWN) think physics... hot air rises.. so ... when that PSU gets hot those fans blow up- right ONTO your new Video and CPU, Even WITH good cooling (assuming non liquid/phase) its NEVER a good idea to blow HOT air onto something your tryin to keep cool.

Prices have changed quite a bit- that set ups almost like what I want, 22" moni included runnin round 1500, minus the Sli of course.
im sorry but i have to disagree.
I have the cooler master 690 which has the psu on the bottom and it also has a vent where to psu goes, to the fan part of the psu faces down.

this way any heat that the psu generates doesnt interfere with the other cpu parts.Sure...you may only be talking about the antec 900, but ppl have had amazing temps with that pc.
And if you get a case with a psu on the bottom, just make sure you get a psu with long enough cables, you also gotta be smart about cable routing.
I was able to route all my cable behind the mobo tray so everythign went well.
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Patron

Actually heat is emitted in a universal 360degree direction its just the air around the heat source that rises and if the base compartment is a real compartment i.e. has its own little airflow due to a case wall then there is no reason for it to change the temps of the entire system any more then one with the psu based at the top
Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

FWIW, a power supply at the bottom of the case is better because the fan on a psu is actually set up to PULL air into the psu then exaust it out the rear. So at the bottom of the machine my PSU is getting fresh cool air rather than the hot air that is rising from all of the other components. Not to mention on the antec 900 there is a giant fan where the psu would normally be to get rid of all that ooky hot air.