need a little clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulafien

In Runtime
ok while at work i told the IT guy about my new build (with a q6600) and he laughed at me and said i was wasting my money and that a amd 5000+BE oced to 3.0gz would run the same(or i would notice no difference) as the q6600 oced to 3gz. he also said that only 1 game and few programs utilize quads yet. To wich i replied that quads are the future right? he also said that there arent many games that support dual core even(that cant be right can it?)

he aslo said that sli isnt supported by as many games as everyone thinks and that a powerful single card is the way to go( is that so?)

this is a real bummer cause i now have the 1k needed to build my pc and thought i had it all figured out.

anyone?

That guy has no idea what he is talking about. UT3 and Crysis already support quads and there are probably other games that support quads too. You will see a huge difference between a Q6600 and a 5000+ Black edition at the same speed.

ok while at work i told the IT guy about my new build (with a q6600) and he laughed at me and said i was wasting my money and that a amd 5000+BE oced to 3.0gz would run the same(or i would notice no difference) as the q6600 oced to 3gz. he also said that only 1 game and few programs utilize quads yet. To wich i replied that quads are the future right? he also said that there arent many games that support dual core even(that cant be right can it?)

he aslo said that sli isnt supported by as many games as everyone thinks and that a powerful single card is the way to go(dam is that so?)

this is a real bummer cause i now have the 1k needed to build my pc and thought i had it all figured out.

anyone?

that IT guy is obviously an amd fanboy in denial. First off an AMD and Intel at 3.0ghz are NOT the same thing. Sure the clock is the same but the performance? No they are not the same. You would need a 3.6ghz X2 (which is not going to happen easily) or so to compete with an e8400 @ 3.0ghz which can easily overclock to 3.8-4.2 which then you would need a 4.5-5ghz X2 to even come close to the power. THAT will NEVER happen so you see first off that guy does not know what he's talking about for an IT guy.

Second he is right in a sense that only a few games right now support quad-core's however in the future (very very soon) most games will support more than 2 CPU's which makes the Q6600 more future proof. However right now many other things not just games already support multi cores fully making the Q6600 a better overall CPU than the E8400. The E8400 right now is a better gamer though.

Here is kicker though that guy said most games dont even support 2???? Is he retarded? ALL new games and most games in the past year and a half or so have supported dual-cores so don't listen to that crap.

Next it WAS true that SLi and Crossfire weren't supported very well and or only gave a minimal performance increase for double the cost. Except now days with the new gpu's such as the 8800gt's, and 9600gt's we are seeing performance of 75-80% over a single card making them better than a lot of cards that are around the same price as two of them.

Tell that guy to shut his mouth becuase he doesn't know what he's talking about. He seems like a guy who is out of the loop and is hardcore AMD fan. His build probably uses an X2 5000 clocked at 3.0ghz or so and he's trying to defend it even though that even the PHENOMS clocked at 2.6ghz get beat at stock by the Q6600 clocked at 2.4ghz....

Don't listen to him

That guy is a moron... you should laugh at him back....

Their architecture's are different, and they have different Core's and are different clock per clock

well im sure glad to hear that on both issues. it seems the favored rig is the q6600 +8800gt sli wich is what i was planning.

just getting ready to drop the bomb on friday and buy the parts. been svaing for a while and just want to make sure this is the most sensible buy for my money.

ps is the evga 750i board is 200 thats steep! what boards would be the most oc friendly to newbes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom