Need input selecting parts for my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's what I ordered:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
RAM: OCZ Premier 1GB (2 x 512MB)
PSU: Fortron 400W
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB (Just one for now; I'll do RAID later when I get some more paychecks in.)
Optical drive: NEC Black DVD Burner
Floppy drive: NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5"
Case: Antec P180B ATX mid tower
Thermal grease: Arctic Silver 5

I was reading around after having already ordered everything and read that DFI mobos require a 24-pin power supply if the board has a 24-pin power connector. The Fortron PSU has a 20+4 pin connector. My question is, will this still be compatible?

Phrantic said:
It's stupid to go AMD now unless you're on a low budget (which you're not) so just spend that same money on a Core 2 Duo processor + motherboard.

blah blah blah.
just kiddin phrantic. but remember...some of us strongly dislike the adjective "stupid" ...
anyways chumly...that rig will run games as good, if not better...as any dual core cpu. c2d, amd or otherwise.
jesus buy what you want.
but you should get a dual core. i'm not calling you stupid, but you should. and yes the 20 + 4 will work.

Yeah, not to worry ;) I've made up my mind that the next build will be a dual core... but that will probably be some years down the road haha. I'm pretty patient with this stuff, and I will read up on it till then.

I'm glad to hear the 20+4 will work. I was a little worried I would have to return it. Thanks for your help!

why in the world would you pay 320 bucks for such a peice of crap cpu?????

honestly dude read up ALOT, dual cores are the way to go and you will not have any issues with your games, in fact you will see an improvement with games

if you HAVE to go with a single core get something like a AMD 3700+ for less then 100 bucks

frankly i think them fx lines are overprices i go with either opteron or x2 (if ur an amd guy) or pentium d or core 2 duo(if ur an intel fanboy) but u could always go cyberpower pc, i saw some nice deals for ur budget maybe u could go quad-fx, if u uped ur budget, but just saying
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/Default.asp

fade2black2004 said:
why in the world would you pay 320 bucks for such a peice of crap cpu?????

honestly dude read up ALOT, dual cores are the way to go and you will not have any issues with your games, in fact you will see an improvement with games

if you HAVE to go with a single core get something like a AMD 3700+ for less then 100 bucks

uh, cmon f2b. the fx-57 is outdated, as it is single core and s939. but its not crap.
but i do agree that it is way overpriced nowadays.

but you're right if i was going songle core i would stick with an athlon 64. they make them for am2 also (orleans). i didn't know that until recently.
at least then you would have an upgrade path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom