Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
Hi there. My current system is as follows:
Asus A8V-E SE
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200 (2.0Ghz)
1GB DDR Ram
Nvidia Geforce 6200 Turbocache 256MB

I bought this system in mid 2006 basically to play World of Warcraft but I am wondering what would be worth upgrading to pump better FPS in games like Doom 3.
I understand that my graphics card was a pretty budget one, is that the first thing I should change?
I don't want to buy a completely new system at the moment.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Diablo 3 will NOT run on that set up lol.

You need to basically start all over dude. Do you have a budget or something?
Because if all you want to do is play Diablo 3 and MMO's a decent 500$~ build should last you 2~3 years before you really need to upgrade again.

Sorry my first post was confusing, what I mean is that I do not wish to purchase a new computer until further down the track in preparation for Diablo 3 and that I am asking for advice on how to enhance my current system's performance in order to gain better FPS in WoW etc.

I am asking for advice on how to enhance my current system's performance in order to gain better FPS in WoW etc.

It depends on what Power Supply you currently have along with what motherboard you are using as well.

Those two are the deciding factor as to whether you are able to get an AGP card, PCI-Express Card, low end card, or a high end card.

Mobo: Asus A8V-E SE
Not sure about the specifications of my motherboard, is there a program i can download to identify it?

looks like this one
ASUS A8V-E SE 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard

good news!
you can get a pci-e 16x video card!

bad news, socket 939 CPUs are expensive

depends on your budget,

first, check your power supply, if its weak, get a new one

second, for lower budget, get a 8800GS or similar.
if your budget allows HD 4850 is a nice choice :p

I just read an article few days ago, describing your current situation!
here is a good read, Can Your Old Athlon 64 Still Game?

i wouldnt go much higher than a 8800gs, it wouldnt be worth the bottleneck, i rekon something like a 8600gt would be even ok, since u just want sum better fps. that will still be tones better than wat u got now.

Alright cool thanks for your opinions. Thanks for the 64 link too, interesting and informative read.
My power supply is 400W, can that handle something like the 8600gt?

i wouldnt go much higher than a 8800gs, it wouldnt be worth the bottleneck, i rekon something like a 8600gt would be even ok, since u just want sum better fps. that will still be tones better than wat u got now.

good call

My power supply is 400W, can that handle something like the 8600gt?

most likely, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom