Need help with upgrade decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony8345

Solid State Member
I plan on upgrading my processor because it is pretty old and I'm starting to have trouble running some new games. I do not know whether or not I should or need to upgrade my motherboard. Here are my hardware specs as of right now:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41 GHz
2 GB of ram
Nvidia GeForce 880gt 512
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4

After talking to a computer tech guy, I was told that my ASUS motherboard could work with AM2 processors and that there was no point to upgrade to AM2+ and get a quad core processor because most games still use one or two cores. I was looking at Newegg and I was wondering if I should buy one of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+? I am interested in buying a more effective processor if one is available ,however, this was the only one I could find that looks like it would work good with games.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
http://www.hardwareforums.com/redir...com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
or
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
http://www.hardwareforums.com/redir...com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

I also plan on buying two more GBs of ram to help give my computer a boast. I'm not very experienced and my friend initially helped me build my computer. Does my upgrade plan seem like a good idea? Any suggestions or comments about any other upgrades to increase my computers performance? Thanks.

sorry but I think they guy in the shop just got back from the bar. A AM2 cpu will not fit and will not work in a socket 939 board. Save up for a new board, cpu and ram.

What would be best to upgrade your cpu ram gpu first? Save the most money for your mobo? Or get the mobo first?

Well if that is the case, should I look at a popular AM2 motherboard and buy one of the processor I listed?

at this point in time intel kills amd. You would want a core 2 or a quad depending upon needs and budget. Your ram is ddr so you will have to get new ram as well either ddr2 or ddr3 depending upon the board you choose. hard drives, dvd drives, case and gpu (you still may want to update that) and OS will work fine. PSU may work depending upon its specs. you did not list that.

If you have to buy a new motherboard you might as well look at Intel. The E7300 or would give you better performance and lower power consumption than the 6000+.

saltnay's idea i very nice I've used the 7300 for a while, it blows AMD's top X2 and almost all the x4 series out of the water especially as far as overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom