Need help with setting up a RAID array - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need help with setting up a RAID array

I'm nearly ready to set up my new system, but I've never configured a RAID array before. I want to install Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) onto a hardware array (RAID 0), and I understand that this requires that I have the necessary drivers for my RAID controller on a floppy disk, and that all hardware controllers should come with this disk.

But, I also have read that some motherboards come with onboard RAID controllers. I'm not exactly sure if mine does.

This is what I have =

CoolerMaster Cosmos Tower
Corsair HX1000W Modular Power Supply
Asus Striker II Extreme (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) Motherboard
2 Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM 300GB Hard Drives
Asus ENGTX260 896M DDR3 Graphics Card
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU heatsink

I can't find anywhere in the Motherboard manual where it specifically states that it has a RAID controller, nor any RAID drivers on the disks.
This is a pretty new MB, so I figured that it might have it?

Do I need to buy a RAID controller card? If so, any recommendations?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Need help with setting up a RAID array

According to this site Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Asus Striker II Extreme 790i DDR3 Motherboard :: Introduction & Specifications it does have an onboard raid controler.

Yes, you will have to dl the raid drivers onto a floppy so you can install them when windows ask for any 3rd party drivers during installation.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need help with setting up a RAID array

Thanks so much!

I now understand that the bit where the link states 'NVIDIA MediaShield RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD configuration across SATA drives JMIcron JMB363 SATA controller' is what I was looking for. Not glaringly obvious to a newbie...

The only thing now that has to be clarified is the exact driver to be implemented. I downloaded this random driver =

Will this work?, or do I have to download a special driver for my MB and/or Harddrives?

Forgive me, but ignorance is not always bliss...
Closed Thread