Need help with setting up a RAID array

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraformScott

Beta member
I'm nearly ready to set up my new system, but I've never configured a RAID array before. I want to install Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) onto a hardware array (RAID 0), and I understand that this requires that I have the necessary drivers for my RAID controller on a floppy disk, and that all hardware controllers should come with this disk.

But, I also have read that some motherboards come with onboard RAID controllers. I'm not exactly sure if mine does.

This is what I have =

CoolerMaster Cosmos Tower
Corsair HX1000W Modular Power Supply
Asus Striker II Extreme (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) Motherboard
2 Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM 300GB Hard Drives
Asus ENGTX260 896M DDR3 Graphics Card
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU heatsink

I can't find anywhere in the Motherboard manual where it specifically states that it has a RAID controller, nor any RAID drivers on the disks.
This is a pretty new MB, so I figured that it might have it?

Do I need to buy a RAID controller card? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

I now understand that the bit where the link states 'NVIDIA MediaShield RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD configuration across SATA drives JMIcron JMB363 SATA controller' is what I was looking for. Not glaringly obvious to a newbie...

The only thing now that has to be clarified is the exact driver to be implemented. I downloaded this random driver =

VRAID_Driver_V540A

Will this work?, or do I have to download a special driver for my MB and/or Harddrives?

Forgive me, but ignorance is not always bliss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom