need help on rebuilding my xps 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniperm

Baseband Member
hi guys,

I need some help on rebuilding my xps desktop.

I need help cuz I have no idea of building a computer.. I read a couple of threads..but have no clue...

my xps system was a gift from my wife 2 years ago.. Im currently getting into gaming and learning stocks as my hobby..

I kinda want something thats crazy and has top performance..(for mostly gaming..)

and currently im learning stocks and would like to run anywhere from 2 ~ 4 monitors.

plus, with this built I would like to use the computer as long as 5~7 years with out upgrading..

I know some will say "do ur homework" or "search button is your friend".. but there is so much and too much info..have no idea where to start and what to look for.. thats why I need some help.

if some ppl still dont like the idea me asking how to built a computer..then just give me ur opinion on how you would built your dream computer.. then maybe i can search your built and learn a little..

thank you.

rich.

I know some will say "do ur homework" or "search button is your friend".. but there is so much and too much info..have no idea where to start and what to look for.. thats why I need some help.

Some other forums you may get that response but not here, everyone here just loves computers and loves helping out.
What is your budget?
And im not familiar with stocks, but am i correct to assume its just web browsing, and not a program that would be cpu intensive?

sorry..made a reply but didnt get posted..

wow..positive feedback.. thank you..

well with stocks.. I know there is a program that cost like $4000 to buy and sell stocks and have live updates.. but I am currently learning.. so might take me a couple years before I use that kinda program..

thats why I would like to focus on a gaming computer.. also, im not a game freak.. but to me gaming computer is like the best to everything..

currently im running 2 monitors.. but will upgrade later.. cuz for stocks I need monitors to search and and watch live news on the web all so to monitor graphs..

I would say I would like to stay under $1500.. but if i need to I am willing to spend more...

umm... my computer just freezed... i turned it on and off and all that comes on is the dell sign..

i put a window cd in and turned it back on...but nothing happens.. wat should i do?

sry, i dont know what to do about your comp freezing

But heres an initial build to get you started on a new computer.

Mobo - Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$240

Cpu - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$289

GFX - Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$410

Memory - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory
$150

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
$108

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$55

DVD drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
$29

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
$105

Total - $1386

This does not include a case because im not familiar enough with what case's can fit in a 5870 card (its a longer card than normal).

I forgot about the monitors, do you already have those, or should they be included into the $1500 budget?

^^Nice build. If you are not a game freak you could save some cash and go for a gtx260 or ATI 4870 for around $160 each. The asus board runs xfire or sli so you can go either way and add a second card later if needed.

The 5870 is super sweet but who knows when they will be available again and $410 :omg:

^^Nice build. If you are not a game freak you could save some cash and go for a gtx260 or ATI 4870 for around $160 each.

Yea i was thinking that, and core-i5 but then again he said
sniperm said:
"I kinda want something thats crazy and has top performance..(for mostly gaming..)"

But if we need to include 2 monitors, that may very well change to a core-i5 and 5850.

sry, i dont know what to do about your comp freezing

But heres an initial build to get you started on a new computer.

Mobo - Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$240

Cpu - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$289

GFX - Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$410

Memory - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory
$150

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
$108

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$55

DVD drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
$29

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
$105

Total - $1386

This does not include a case because im not familiar enough with what case's can fit in a 5870 card (its a longer card than normal).

I forgot about the monitors, do you already have those, or should they be included into the $1500 budget?

cool!

I will look for this built..

so this is a high gaming machine built?

btw, I have 4gb of ram.. can I use this with this built? and add more? instead of getting 6gb ram?

also, wat is i7 ? is this good for gaming? I look around and see i7 is the new thing...

and ive been to computer stores and see all kinds of fans and cooling stuff.. do i need lots of fans? (if i do.. i like the ones with led's..haha... also i c liquid cooling stuff.. Is this safe? and needed?

sorry for all the noob questions..

the more i search more and more questions.. my brain is about to poP..

You will not be able to use your ram as an i7 requires ddr3 ram. You most likely have ddr2 ram.

the i7 is currently the best cpu on the market. It also comes in a pretty future proof socket.

You will not need h20 cooling unless you plan on some serious overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom