Need help with Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuDawg

Baseband Member
Which sticks should I buy?

Patriot Signature 2gb - Timing 3-4-4-8 - $57.99 (after mail-in rebate)
Newegg.com - Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Desktop Memory

or

OCZ Platinum 2gb - Timing 2-3-2-5 - $69.99
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I want to know which Timing is better, higher numbers or lower numbers? I'm thinking higher numbers. And I know OCZ is a good brand (but could those Patriot be good as well), I have two sticks from OCZ now 1gb x 512mb (had them for 3 years, they have worked great). If you know of any other deals, like great Timing for a Great Price, let me know... also if you know of a 4gb sticks great deal, let me know that as well... I'd rather buy 4gigs and sell my 1 gig. My motherboard can only support 4 gigs and can only support DDR 400, also Dual Channel compatible. I'm thinking the Patriot is an awesome buy, but I want to make sure before I buy it in the next morning or two (again, if you know of any other great deals, let me know). Also, should I just buy two kits of the Patriot, to make 4 gigs?... as I see how the DDR 400s seem to be getting more and more expensive, so I should just go ahead and max out my Motherboard?

Thanks,
Joshua aka LuDawg

The number of sticks you should get depends on how many RAM slots your mobo has - since your mobo's max is 4GB, there are two combinations:
2 slots means you should get 2x2GB
4 slots means you should get two 2x1GB

Keep in mind that if you don't have a 64-bit operating system, you will only see around 3.5GB of the 4GB.

Maxing out your motherboard sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

it's not going to matter much if you get the 2x1GB (getting 2 of the 2x1GB for total of 4GB ) set you listed or a 2x2GB set because your mobo only supports up to 4GB anyways. i would go for what ever is the cheapest and best performing ram.

I do want the best ram for my PC, so I should go with the OCZ, seeing as the timing is better. I didn't know lower timing = better, that's good to know. I also have 4 ram slots, so 4 x 1gigs or better then 2 x 2gigs, that's good to know too. I think I'll go with the OCZ, inless someone has a link to better deal... like same OCZ I have, but cheaper at another place :D ... or something differrent.

No no no, 4x1 is not better than 2x2.
I never said it was better. They're equal. And I don't see anyone else who said so :p

And having 4x1 will have two sticks running in dual-channel, and another two sticks running in dual-channel. I was recently running a similar setup (2x2GB + 2x1GB), each running in dual-channel according to CPU-Z.

I have no idea what you mean by 'filling up memory banks'.

I never said it was better. They're equal.

And having 4x1 will have two sticks running in dual-channel, and another two sticks running in dual-channel. I was recently running a similar setup (2x2GB + 2x1GB), each running in dual-channel according to CPU-Z.

I have no idea what you mean by 'filling up memory banks'.

Than I missunderstood you. I just posted that Memory Bank link for the OP. Sounded like he was new to computers, and from what I've seen a good amount of people hear a filled up memory bank and they think it's putting a stick of memory in a DIMM slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom