Need Help with Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

Haven't been here in a while, usually due to the fact that I come to research components just before spending WAYYYY too much money and then I go hide in a cave for a few months before sneaking back out.

Anyway... one of my hd's died and so I have been left with just a single 10,000rpm 75gig (or there abouts, i forget exact gig number) and that is way too full.

So what I am looking at doing is ebaying off my 75gig drive and getting two of these hd's and setting them in raid 0 for the maximum operating system and gaming performance speed possible:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

What I mainly need to know is

1) Is it possible to stripe your operating system across two drives in raid 0 without having to buy an external raid controller card to get the benefit of the raid 0 for windows boot, operating system tasks etc.
2) How do you go about doing raid 0 in the first place? I have never done raid before and would love some quick pointers and perhaps some links to tutorials that I could print out to have handy as I am plugging stuff in. I have a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D motherboard.

Thanks for the help, let me know if you need further information on my rig etc.

EDIT: Been reading more on raid, I now also need suggestions on what stripe size to use? lol sad that the more I read the more questions I have.

just buy a 36 gb raptor, then get a large HD for storage and the raptor and be used for windows installation

Umm dude look at the rig in my signature. I am not trying to save money or get a mediocre computer here, I am trying to upgrade my hd's for the fastest performance possible (within reason and avoiding scsi 15,000rpm stuff).

As I had already said I already have a 74gig 10,000rpm raptor but I was planing on ebaying that off to make a little cash to fund getting 2x 150gig 10,000rpm raptor hd's which I would put in raid 0 for the fastest performance possible.

EDIT: Although I would say it is a fair question to pose: would there be a noticeable performance increase in having 2 150gig 10,000rpm raptors in raid 0 vs 1 74gig 10,000rpm raptor for my operating system and 1 150gig 10,000rpm raptor for the rest of my storage without any raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom