Need help on office computer with good graphics card.

alienufo

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm looking to build a PC for my office that has a gaming quality graphics card as we work with 3d environments. I have a good idea of what I want, but not entirely sure of the specifics, and if anyone could fill me in, that would be wonderful.

Graphics card: want to go with this GeForce GTX 550 Ti - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM - 8gb
Case - keep it simple and not too huge.
processor - i7 3.0ghz quad at least
mobo - no idea, need input.
power supply - no idea, need input
Hard drive - 320gb

Only other thing I need is dual monitor support, but I'm pretty sure my graphcis card I chose has that.
Any help would be appreciated!

Hey, thanks for the build but my boss has requested an i7 processor, and I was looking for a more robust graphics card. This program is very graphics heavy, and less so on processing (its primarily 3d, not 2d like CAD)

Hey, thanks for the build but my boss has requested an i7 processor, and I was looking for a more robust graphics card. This program is very graphics heavy, and less so on processing (its primarily 3d, not 2d like CAD)

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600
Newegg.com - ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX550TVXPB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hopefully this should be what your expecting am I right ?
That i7 is more than enough I presume, with graphics card.
Add on the ram and case with psu I posted up and you should be set.
Only thing you'll need is a hdd and dvd burner but I'll leave that to you to choose from.

Let me know if thats what you trully need. :)

Thanks, that looks more like what I was looking for! The power supply you put in your first post will be enough wattage for everything?

If you are working with 3D Environmental software then you absolutely do not want to skimp. Also, desktop graphics cards will not accelerate your software the way you will want. What you are looking for is a workstation class card that will cost you a ton.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL

Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For GPU this is something that you should really be using in what is to be considered a workstation environment to give you an idea.

Newegg.com - PNY VCQ5000-PB Quadro 5000 2.5GB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

But if your software does have GPU acceleration it will still greatly help to have the 550ti, but I would go with something more powerful like a 560ti.
Since you didn't put a budget I built the PC with office and software needs in mind which is why I put 16GB of RAM instead over the 8. It will help in the long run as renders can take up a ton of RAM, and if it doesn't have to be swapped to the drive it will be much faster.

Thanks PP, but the software we use doesn't require any rendering. It uses the OGRE 3d engine, so I'm certain I won't need that monster of a card nor the 16gb ram. I already am able to run it on a $600 laptop, but we are looking for something a bit more powerful for a desktop.

Hi, I'm looking to build a PC for my office that has a gaming quality graphics card as we work with 3d environments
The Quadro workstation cards are used for rendering and 3D environments which is all rendering. When you put something 3D on the screen, it is rendering it ;)

If you don't need all that, then cut the RAM back down to 8GB and still grab the i7 computer. It'll do wonders for performance regardless.

Back
Top Bottom