Need Help with New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sypher0101

Solid State Member
I'm currently looking into building a new computer (90% for games) and so far I've decided on :

CPU: AMD 64 3700+
MOBO: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
RAM: OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL DC DDR 2Gb Kit

HDD: 2x...either WD/Seagate 200GB SATA or 2x Maxtor 250gb sata 16mb (depending on end price) on RAID 0

VIDEO: 7800gt 256mb PCI-X..(Brand TBA..though Albatron seems to be ok in some reviews I've read in a couple of mags...though i've also never used them for anything before)

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-110D (not sure where to buy a retail version. Also..does it come in Black)

PSU: Antec Truepower..not sure how many Watts i'll need.
CASE: TBA...Looking for a cheap one..though i'de like it to be stylish, wide enough so the optical drives don't cover the mobo & room for 120mm fans.

Monitor: Unknown...Possibly a CRT 17" Flat Screen..don't really like the LCD..they seem kinda blurry to me + they get dead pixels + they cost more.

CPU Cooler: Either the good Thermalright one featured in recent review, the Skyth ninja or the Gigabyte one.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

P.S. Eventually I'de like to overclock just to get a bit more power...but the DFI board I've read alot of posts about is a bit costly for me.

dont get asus with amd

get a DFI lanparty series board.

get an eVGA 7800GT, or leadtek, or gigabyte, or MSI, or BFG.

antec truepower 550W power supply would be good.

Why not use ASus with AMD..Asus are a good Brand and I've used them twice before + others say the Premium version of A8N-SLI is pretty good and they use AMD also ?

I was checking out the DFI boards & they seem to be a bit too costly for the amount I have in mind for the new PC.

Who makes eVGA 7800gt cards ??...Is there a problem with Albatron cards ??..though this one seemed to do good in the tests..i've never used one before..I currently have a Leadtek card.

The Antec TruePower 550 is what most people seem to be using at the moment...though..Would the Antec P180 case come with one of these PSU's ??

Thanx again for the feedback :)

I just got the ASUS A8N sli, and even though I haven't got past DOS yet, due to my hdd catching on fire, I am pleased with it.

eVGA are liked alot around here, due to their trade in deals. I just got a BFG 7800gt and they are overclocked as standard, and have a life time warranty. Leadtek put huge all copppy heatsinks on their cards. They are the main ones, and I would stick with them.

I don't believe the P180 does come with a PSU. The PSU that has just won loads of awards is the Seasonic S12 range. I have just got a Hiper 580w type R, which is a extremely nice PSU, and is modular too. Just don't get a cheap PSU, as my hdd caught on fire at a friends house, and he had a cheap one.

Use this as a guide for the wattage: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Stick with WD or Seagate, as they are the best two companies out there.

There is no point wasting money on retail for the dvd drive oem is fine.

kool..thanx for that,

when u say "They are the main ones, and I would stick with them."...are u refering to the Leadtek cards ??

Sorry, I didn't type it out very clearly. The ones I listed are the main ones, not just Leadtek.

ok,

so far after everything I've got the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+

MOBO: Asus A8N-SLI Premium

RAM: OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL DC DDR 2Gb Kit

HDD: 2x 200MB Seagate Barraccuda SATA

VIDEO: 7800GT or GT Extreme..Leadtek or Albatron

OPTICAL: Pioneer 110D DVD-RW

PSU: Antec TruePower 550

CASE: Still unsure, considering Antec Super LanBoy

MONITOR: Still unsure...17"CRT..possibly LG 17" 700 P Flatron

CPU COOLER: either thermalright, gigabyte or skyth ninja

Keyboard: Logitech..unsure of model..possibly $30-$40ish

QUESTIONS:

- I'm thinking of getting 2x 160GB hdd rather then 200GB's to save money..though I'll have this PC for about 3-5yrs before next upgrade & may need the room.

- With the Leadtek 7800GT Extreme being slightly OC'd already, would it be possible to OC it more or would they have locked it. And also with the 4 extra Pipes..could I unlock those with this card?

- I saw that there were 2x types of Antec Truepower 550 PSU's..one was ATX and the other I believe was a EPS PSU for a bit more..what one would I need. And would I need 550watts..could I get away with say..480-500watts which could save a bit $$?

- The case is still pretty hard to decide on as I'll be spending alot just on the PSU...the Lanboy was the cheapest decent looking good case I found..though still pricey.

- I've decided to stick with the 17" CRT monitors as there a good size and cheaper/better in a way then LCD.
Pros:
CRT - Price, better quality for games/movies.

LCD - Space saving, DVI

Cons:
CRT - Bulky/heavy, uses more power
LCD - Price, quality for gaming/movies

my opinions anyways :p

Thanx :)

P.S...sorry for the long post.

PZEROFGH said:
dont get asus with amd

PZEROFGH - ASUS were only buggy with AMD when they were using the VIA chippset. But now they dont any more and there boards are fine.

With the PSU, make sure it is the 2.0 version.

You need Rivatuner to unlock the pipelines. And there is only one way to find out, and that is try it. If it doesn't work, just turn it off. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

480watts will be fine from a good company like Antec.

It is never wasted money spending on a nice case. I just got the Thermaltake Kandalf, and I can't stop looking at it. And it was well worth the money. (I think it is $220 on newegg.)

sypher0101 said:
- I'm thinking of getting 2x 160GB hdd rather then 200GB's to save money..though I'll have this PC for about 3-5yrs before next upgrade & may need the room.
I would get just one 200GB and see if you even need more space before investing in another one.

- With the Leadtek 7800GT Extreme being slightly OC'd already, would it be possible to OC it more or would they have locked it.
No, you could overclock it more.

And also with the 4 extra Pipes..could I unlock those with this card?
I wouldn't count on it.

- I saw that there were 2x types of Antec Truepower 550 PSU's..one was ATX and the other I believe was a EPS PSU for a bit more..what one would I need. And would I need 550watts..could I get away with say..480-500watts which could save a bit $$?

You could go with a 480W to save money.

- The case is still pretty hard to decide on as I'll be spending alot just on the PSU...the Lanboy was the cheapest decent looking good case I found..though still pricey.

Look at some Thermaltake and Aspire cases.

- I've decided to stick with the 17" CRT monitors as there a good size and cheaper/better in a way then LCD.
Pros:
CRT - Price, better quality for games/movies.

LCD - Space saving, DVI

Cons:
CRT - Bulky/heavy, uses more power
LCD - Price, quality for gaming/movies

my opinions anyways :p

You can get LCD's that are just as good as CRT's for movies and games, they just cost more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom