Need help with a new compy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think she should get the $149 850w Antec Modular, she wants to Crossfire with the Asus

well she could get a power color one too it has a girl on it, they could be sister:laughing:

HD%204870small.jpg

I don't get the Antec three hundred case... you put the PSU on the bottom.. and heat rises.. to your MOBO/CPU/RAM..... why would you want to make that stuff even hotter? plus... you can't install a fan in the top front to provide cooling breeze to this.... just seems troublesome to me.

Having gone from a case with a conventional psu placement to the 300 I can say the 300 is vastly superior. All good psu's have exaust fans so they won't be adding heat to the case. Plus the 300 comes with a 140mm top fan so hot air is blown out of case instead of into the psu like it would be in most cases. My video cards temps dropped 10c and my cpu's temp dropped 5c with the 300 vs my old case. The 300 isn't a small case either.

Seriously, I don't see why so many new members come here asking for advice and then argue with us. This is our hobby, between us we have thousands of hours and decades of expereince. We know what we are talking about.

I can personally vouch for the Biostar P45s. I own one. They are some of the best P45 based boards you can get. They compete well against Asus feature wise, they tend to beat them price wise, and they hold the performance crown.

As for Factory OC'ed cards, they did it, not you so they are covered under warranty. if it fails then they will replace it. No problems there. The factory OC'ed ones tend to come with better coolers too, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The parts listed here are all top notch. The Q9550 is an excellent processor, I wish i had the cash for one, but an e7200 @ 3.8ghz is pretty **** good too. Although aesthetics are nice, you really should put performance and value first. Its not like you will be looking at your video card all the time anyways.

@PuddleJumper thanks for the input on the 300 series, it just worried me
@stalin that powercolor so has a dude on it, with long hair. :p

@ everyone sorry i came off angry its just I did come for help and all, and I got a little ticked when everyone assumed I was a guy, and I only get 1 shot at this computer.. I want it to work out and last 5+ years and not get screwed in the end, ya know?

It's gonna be like 1300 bucks with a new moni and I currently have 150 bucks to my name, so it ain't like I am made of money to just plop out "oh sorry get ''this'' then do 'this and this and this' to it to make it the bestest" If I wanted the best I'd need a lot more money, I just want to compete in the "Top 10" performance wise, if possible, or at least top 50/100.

Yes I know the phenom was made for OC, I just a lil bit biased fangirl-ish toward the AMD class of things. But I have read a lot of reviews and documents showing that Intels "fake quad" is indeed faster and superior to AMDs stuff, and the prices are not really that much different from one another for me to get that picky. If AMD were much cheaper for the lacking 15% performance.. then sure I'd go AMD for prices... but it would have to be >15% discount on the parts for the value.. which it is not.

Lemme review more links and look at the prices and stats and toss them together into a proposed build and then please tell me what you think. Oh and.. please don't rip it all apart and throw a whole new build in cuz that'll just confuse the **** outta me. If something is wrong with what I link.. then say "dont use the case.. the case is small and will cause heating problems, try this, or this, as they are slightly better designed for size, and cool very well" which has already been stated about the Antec 300 series, so I may go with it...

And I apologize.. you guys are right.. I am being silly.. this crud won't even be seen, heck only the front of the case will be seen, so visually... it doesn't matter.. I got caught up in the advertising, my bad.

Before I get into that... if you had to chose between video cards, one being 'core clock' 50mhz faster, and the other being about double the 'memory clock' but everything else the same... which is better?

Case - Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mobo - Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PSU- Newegg.com - Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM - Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Video - Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M/A Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
-or- Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CDRom - Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Moni - Newegg.com - ASUS VK222H Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Webcam 300 cd/m2 ASCR 5000:1(1000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

which all comes to 1374 (with cheaper video) and a 110 mail in rebate so 1264 in the end...

Before I get into that... if you had to chose between video cards, one being 'core clock' 50mhz faster, and the other being about double the 'memory clock' but everything else the same... which is better?

Depends entirely on what video cards you are talking about. Clock speed means absolutely nothing.

EDIT:

I guess you are referring to the two 4870s.
They both have nice coolers and both should be able to OC to about the same level. IMO it comes down to brand preference.

Not only that, but girls are a bit rare in these parts. it is safer to assume they are a guy. You are more likely to be right. Although your username should have given that away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom