Need help with My Gaming Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daibido1123

Solid State Member
I'm going to build a gaming monster tower that can do anything that is thrown at it, I'll list what hardware I'm going to use for sure, but I need help with the rest to give it a proper load-out.

MoBo: EVGA Classified

CPU: i7 975 OCed to 4.5GHz

A Quad loop Liquid cooling system to cool everything, One loop on the CPU, One on the North/South Bridge, One on the first two GPU's and the last one on the other GPU's.

The case is going to be a totally custom build from scratch.

PSU: 1600W Ultrax3

Now here is the problem I need help with RAM choosing, GPU layout, and how to do the HDD's/SSD's

GPU Option 1. 3x285GTX 2GB SSC's and one 9800GT 1GB for Physx.
GPU Option 2. 2x295GTX CO-OP's and for over kill Physx a 285GTX 2GB SSC.

Which one will offer the most and yes I know option two is over kill.

Now for RAM, what RAM would offer best speeds at a full 12GB load out on all three channels?

For the Storage set, I want to have a dictated OCZ 250GB at 250MBs read for the OS, due to me wanting room for OS intensive Programs.

Next I want a duel Storage plan of two to four of those OCZ 250GB SSD's for programs, and Two to Five SATA/SAS drives in a Internal RAID cage, for back up of the computer. If I go with option 2 for the GPU's I can do a RAID card, other wise I have to use the MoBo RAID, or use a PCI riser cable and mount the card in a different way.

The Drives will be a flash card reader and two Blu-Ray Reader Writer drives.

WiFi will be a PCI x1 Wireless N card.

So what Can you all do to help me with the GPU's HDD/SSD, and RAM Loadout?

First off I wouldn't go with a 975. You can save A LOT of $ by going with a 920 which can easily OC to 4.5.

Oh man. That is going to be like $5000-$6000.

Yeah, get the 920. Why 12 gigs of ram? Get 6 now and then you can add another 6 later when it is cheaper. 6 gigs will destroy any game you throw at it with an overkill of a few gigs. You want to go with gpu option 1. It is actually more powerful than option 2.

For ram, this is really fast: Newegg.com - mushkin Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model 998707 - Desktop Memory
But this is much better bang for the buck and quite fast as well: Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Your not going to be guaranteed to hit 4.5GHz with any i7, Get the 920.

Getting 12GB of memory and filling up all the slots will only degrade your overclocking possibilities. Get a 3x2GB kit of DDR3 2000 if you just want maximun power.

Don't buy an Ultra Power Supply.

I wouldn't go crazy with the Video Cards at this time. Both ATi and Nvidia will have a new generation of cards coming soon. Get a pair of GTX 285's and wait a few months. When the new cards arrive you can sell 1 card and keep the other for PhysX.

Your not going to be guaranteed to hit 4.5GHz with any i7, Get the 920.

Getting 12GB of memory and filling up all the slots will only degrade your overclocking possibilities. Get a 3x2GB kit of DDR3 2000 if you just want maximun power.

Don't buy an Ultra Power Supply.

I wouldn't go crazy with the Video Cards at this time. Both ATi and Nvidia will have a new generation of cards coming soon. Get a pair of GTX 285's and wait a few months. When the new cards arrive you can sell 1 card and keep the other for PhysX.

Or just get a single 285 and sell/use for physX when the new ones come out. As long as his monitor isn't 2560x1650, he'll max everything anyway.

Unless you are trying for a really good Vantage score, I wouldn't get a card just for PhysX, because Havok will come out, and replace the proprietary PhysX.

for hard drives:
OS and programs:
get 2 ssd drives and set them up in raid0 for os and programs. 2 120gb drives should be sufficient.
for storage:
get 3 1.5tb 32mb cache 7200rpm sata drives and set them up in a raid5 for an effective storage of 3tb.
for backup:
a 2gb external hd should be sufficient.

Only reason to couple a classified and a 975 is if you plan on putting them under ln2. If not get a 920.

One loop for chipset and cpu.
One loop for 2 vid cards. depending upon your rad and pump setup you could run 3 if needed.

this should be all the power you need.
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

for gpu's listen to everyone else.

6gb of ram is plenty unless you run several vm's on your setup. Get some ddr3 2000 ram with good timings.

absolutely no reason for 2 blue ray burners. get 1 blue ray burners and one standard dvd burner.

Thanks every one, just to clear everything up, This is going to be not just for gaming, but for CAD, Video, and Photo editing. The case is a custom design that uses 4 loops, and two High end radiators, I didn't know that all channels being filled would cause a bottleneck and the I7 975 is going to stay, due to my need to have a stable OCing on it. The money is not the issue, I also wanted to make it that the Drives in RAID five are in a Hot swappable set up. The SSD's I want lots of space on so I'm still going to use the OCZ drives. I also am not building this right now, just doing research for it. When New tech that will better meet my needs comes out next year, I may go with that. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom