need help on hi-performance workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

darweshs

Baseband Member
ok so i am going to use adobe cs5.5 but cannot sdecide on a workstation under 2k.

i need a minimum of:

at least 6 cores total; 8 or 16 cores preferred; either dual xeon or opteron
10gb ram; 12 preferred
1-2gb gddr5 vram; firepro or quadro; 2gb gddr5 preferred
hard drive (1tb hitachi deskstar) and windows 7 professional i already have:wink: so no need for that!

all under 2000. i have checked hp and dell, but they go much over 2000 for just 4gb ram and 768mb ddr3 vram.

should i wait for bulldozer or get one now and build it myself?

please do ALL parts from newegg.

Your not going to get all of those components for under $2000. I use my PC for AutoCad, Photoshop CS5 and Gaming mostly, and I don't see the need for 6 cores. Maybe in a couple years but not right now. If you can't settle for less than those spec.'s I suggest waiting until you save up another $1000.

Coolmax is a crappy power supply, if you want a good dependable, stable computer buy a good power supply.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/

That motherboard supports
  • Intel Xeon X5500 Series (95W)
  • Intel Xeon E5500 Series (80W)
  • Intel Xeon L5500 Series (60W/38W)
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Intel, Processors - Servers, LGA 1366, Nehalem

Nvidia cards will offer GPU Acceleration. The list below isn't quite complete because I know my GTX480's are compatible.
Adobe said:
Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration
  • GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
  • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
  • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
  • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
  • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
  • Quadro CX (Windows)

The standard recommended Memory Module is going to be DDR3 1333 MHz and in triple channel mode. You buy memory in sets of 3, as in, 3GB (3x1GB), 6GB (3x2GB), 12GB (3x4GB), 24GB (3x8GB) or you can double up and get 6GB (6x1GB), 12GB (6x2GB), 24GB (6x4GB), 48GB (6x8GB)
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Server Memory, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Velcoraptors are a waste of space.

It looks like you think your going to have a good computer by buying the cheapest possible parts so long as you have a dual cpu system. I don't care how many cpu's or cores that you have, my i7 2600K will be faster. If you want to get the best performance you have to balance the whole system out. A bunch of slow cpu's just means you can do a lot of work slowly. And your slowing it down more by using slow ram. The cpu and the memory controller are linked directly together, if you slow one down your slowly the other also. You would be best off just buying a really fast PC similar to mine but you still need about $2500 - $3000.

Gpu acceleration (cuda) works on all descrete cards 8000series and newer they ALL support it with the exception of onboard solutions.

slaymate, so youre saying that an i7 2600k would work better then a dual configuration of xeons? and also i think that velociraptors are better than ssds for premiere pro, at least according to adobe.

In the price range your specifying yes, I think a i7 2600K would work better. If you had the cash needed for a quality dual Xeon workstation then my opinion would change.

As far as judging storage performance for most applications, including adobe, your only concerns will be how fast the application loads and how fast your data is saved. In these situations the difference between the drives will be minimal, but the SSD will be ever so slightly faster. The SSD however will give you a large advantage in loading Windows and the same slightly faster advantage in your other applications if they are installed to the SSD.

If we were to test a good 7200rpm HDD against the velociraptor in application loading and data saves times we would see the velociraptor winning by a slight margin but it doesn't offer the same advantages over the 7200rpm HDD that the SSD has over it. And the Veociraptor is more than twice the cost of a 7200 rpm drive.

For the price you would be better off running (2) good 7200rpm drive in a Raid0 configuration instead of a Velociraptor. The optimal setup, which would cost more, would be a SSD for your OS and main applications and a good, large standard HDD for your data/saved files.

actually i just found out that i can get maya and some other hi-perf autodesk apps for free. i am planning to install all of these on the computer. will your suggested setup still work with maya (are they certified, etc.) slaymate?

do you think it would be better to wait for bulldozer, and purchase a phenom ii x6 1100t with an am3+ motherboard. the problem i that adobe doesnt list any firepros or radeons, while autodesk does. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom