Need help with graphics card packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudcrab

Beta member
I'm less than an hour away from ordering my new pc (possibly longer if I don't get a reply soon), but I'm having trouble deciding which of 2 different 8800GT packages to get:

eVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB DDR3 PCI-E Video Card 512-P3-N802-AR Vista and SLI Ready HDTV-7 Dual DVI-I-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

ASUS EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card with Company of Heroes Game-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

I've looked over both carefully, and I've only found 2 differences between them. The first is the 650MHz engine clock on the eVGA package vs. the 600MHz on the ASUS. The second is the game included with the ASUS package. I've wanted to play CoH for a while, but my current PC is nowhere near good enough to play it.

Before I saw the ASUS bundle I never planned on getting it even with my new computer because of all the other good games I'd finally be able to play (I've already bought Crysis in anticipation of my new comp, and I plan on buying Supreme Commander soon after it arrives). The main problem I'm facing is whether I should get a game I'd otherwise never play or have all my other games run slightly better. I'm not really sure how much of a difference 50MHz will make, and if it doesn't turn out to be much, I'll most likely go with the ASUS package. Thanks in advance for any advice.

the reason that EVGA card has 50mhz more clock is because its an Overclocked version. All GT cards come at the same stock speed, the difference with OC'ed cards are the manufacturers pay a little extra to get better GPU's so they can achieve higher clock speeds.

You have two main options, assuming you have a decent case with good airflow, you can buy the asus card and OC it yourself using something like ATI tool, or buy a pre OC'ed version like the EVGA card.

Personally if it were me, i would go even further and buy a SSC edition clocked at 700mzh, but i dont think you would be able to find any in stock :S

As for the differences, the EVGA card will perform better as it is overclocked.

Why not get the EVGA card, and in a couple months when your are getting bored with your games buy CoH? By that time the game will probably be worth a lot less then it is now.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go with the eVGA. I'm not too enthusiastic about playing CoH, but I don't know anything about tech so I thought it looked like a good deal.

Even with the overclocking, how do 8800GT's hold up playing Crysis? My new rig is gonna have vista and DX10, and is there even a remote chance of me being able to put a few settings on very high without the framerate dropping to a slideshow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom