Need help with GPU cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Need help with GPU cooling

Can anybody suggest a good GPU fan that i can get for my 8800GTS? I know pretty much nothing about what is good for GPU cooling

Q6600@3.6 / 8800gts G92 / 2g Kingston Hyperx / 3dmark:16,000
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default Re: Need help with GPU cooling

hmmm... are you actually looking for a GPU FAN? or an aftermarket GPU cooling solution in general? im not sure i quite understand what you mean... i thought the 8800GTS always came with a cooling fan... or are you just looking to bring your temps down a little more? huh... well, ill throw some ideas out there anyways...

i know ive heard good things about this heatsink from Arctic Cooling:
ARCTIC COOLING ACCELS1 Rev 2 VGA Cooler
and if you put a 120mm fan on top of THAT, itll cool it even MORE...

or you could try one of these with the fan built in:
XIGMATEK VD964 VGA Cooler
but i havent heard anything about that one cept from reading the reviews on newegg...

worse comes to worse, consider investing in a small starter watercooling loop mebbe... would be specially nice for overclocking that BE CPU... just a thought... hope i helped a little - RK

EDIT: went back and found that thread where i heard about the AC Accelero... here it is, if youre curious:
Little review on the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

accelero s1 is amazing. i have it slapped on my 3850 and it runs incredibly cool granted i've got a scythe s-flex 120mm fan on it.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
accelero s1 is amazing. i have it slapped on my 3850 and it runs incredibly cool granted i've got a scythe s-flex 120mm fan on it.
there you go... more positive reviews...

only thing, i just noticed tho is... its pretty big... so make sure you have room for it in your case/setup...
and since without a fan, its passive cooling, make sure your case has pretty good airflow or that you put a fan on it and direct it toward a vent or something mebbe... else the heat will just transfer into that radiator-style grid of fins and just stay there, i would think... a fan to cool em would be a real good idea... just some ideas - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it isn't that large. its definitly smaller then the 8800gts itself. it is just a bit wide, so make sure you have at least 2-1/2 inches between the edge of your card and the side panel. the cooler pops about 2 inches off the edge of my card.

grr. vb messed up on me and i double posted by accident... sorry
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread