Need help on first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
LED monitors aren't really anything special right now. What you're buying should be called an LED-backlit LCD because that's what they are. It's an ordinary LCD panel but instead of a small fluorescent tube lamp lighting the screen it's a bunch of white LED's. This allows for "dynamic contrast" where the LED's can get brighter or dimmer as the image changes, but this may produce undesirable brightness changes on parts of the image that aren't supposed to change. My ordinary fluorescent backlit Dell ST2210 LCD's have dynamic contrast too and it's annoying. The advantage of LED's is that you can selectively change backlight to a certain extent, you can dim just one area of the screen while a fluorescent lamp dims the entire screen. To be honest I just turned off dynamic contrast and I like it without the brightness changing constantly.

The real breakthrough will be OLED screens. These are not LCD panels but instead a screen lined with millions of tiny individual LED lights arranged in pixel groups. This type of panel requires no backlight so black levels are excellent (no backlight leakage, a dark pixel emits absolutely zero light). They are relatively easy to produce but for some reason are still ridiculously expensive. Some phones have OLED screens and the difference is pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom