Need Help finishing 3 year old build

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdub85

Beta member
Hello everyone, great site here, very informative! I do hope you can offer me a bit of advice. See, three years ago I started buying parts to build my very first gaming pc. I got halfway through and just didnt finish, matter of fact I just found all my old parts with an inch of dust hiding in my closet!:p Anyways, my question for all you kind folks is if i should just scrap my build or if i can salvage some things and finally complete it. My main concern is for running music production software (ableton, Reason) and still love to game frequently. Ive never owned a good pc gaming rig, so i don't even know what its like to rattle off a headshot with a mouse!! so here are my current items that i already own...

Antec 900 Case
BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800 OC
WD Raptor 150gb 10,000 RPM HDD
Rocketfish 700watt power supply
Samsung Super-writer 20x dvd drive
Logitech g5 mouse
Razer Lycosa keyboard

What all would i need to finish this? I have a budget of $6-800.00 USD
is this all just junk now?

Thank You All!
Cole

By the looks of it, you could buy a motherboard, CPU and RAM and you'd be away. Even better, the parts you have so far place no restriction on getting completely modern stuff.
There are two points of concern for me though: one is your PSU, I've heard of rocketfish but have no idea about the quality of their PSUs. The other, smaller concern I have is that your GPU is going to be pretty outdated but since you already own it it makes sense to at least try it out and see if you're OK with it.

You should go 1.0tb 7200rpm
And think before getting the SandyBridge CPU, wait for the prices to come down.
4GB RAM should be sufficient

yeah they really aren't going to drop in price much, they just dropped the price on the 950/960 i7's so that coupled with the fact that they need to recoup some losses on the sb platform don't expect a price drop anytime soon. the rev2 boards are gonna be shipping out in like a month or less, and the z series should be out so if you're looking for more options you could hold off a bit on that.

personally i'd wait for the sandy bridge rev2 boards to come out and then jump on it. that'd be a solid investment, especially if you've got 600-800 for just a cpu, mobo and ram.

Thanks for the quick replies!
So, I will need to budget for windows 7 ($99 I think) and maybe for a hardrive upgrade and new psu. What would I benefit most from the i7 vs the i5? Like I said, My main uses will be music production and gaming. I read that the new SB chips were a nice boost in speed, making the new i5 the same as the "older" i7, this true? What mobo would i need if I decided on the i5? Also, what are the differences with these rev2 boards, this is the first I've heard of them? I think i shall keep the gpu as of now and wait another month or two till i upgrade that, whats the best bang for the buck these days?

Also, another person asked whether or not i was wanting AMD or Intel CPU... I have no clue, I know the AMD's are cheaper, but I don't want to sacrifice performance to save 80 bucks.

If you have the money, go with the i7 it has 8 cores (4 + 4 virtual ones) while the i5 has 4 cores.

If you get SB, you'd need a 1155 socket motherboard. You can find some now, but you should wait for a wider selection.

I believe rev2 just means "revision 2" as in its the revised set of the motherboards that don't have the chipset flaw that the first set had...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom