Need help deciding on upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2
Default Need help deciding on upgrade

Relevant info for my computer:
Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon 64 3200 754 pin Processor
2 sticks CMX 512 3200LL Corsair memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg video card
Sound Blaster X-Gamer (very old) sound card

I am wanting to upgrade system but this year I have a small budget. Would like to get your input as to what would be best upgrades for now with hopes to upgrade next year.


I am thinking of keeping the processor for now and buying the following:
Asus k8N4-E Motherboard
Asus Radeon X1 800Xl 256 meg video card
SB X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card

Then next year I hope to replace processor with faster AMD
I use my comp for mostly first person shooters and level design for them.

Do you folks think these upgrades would be worth my money? I would love to upgrade the whole thing but money is a consideration right now.
Would appreciate any help or thoughts. Thanks
__________________

Max Death is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
PZEROFGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,553
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH
Default

defintely upgrade to pcie16, but to tell you, next year your going to have to buy a whole new processor and a whole new mobo, so just to take that into consideration

1) defintely upgrade the graphics card, go with a 7800GT or GTX
2) if your going to upgrade your video card you will have to upgrade your mobo

if you upgrade your mobo you will have to upgrade again next year for the nwe M2 socket or s939 if you want to upgrade your processor.
__________________

__________________
Hmmm?
AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
PZEROFGH is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the reply PZEROFGH.
I realize that I need to go with a better processor and to do that I will have to change motherboards next year again. I quess that my main question is will the suggested updates show enough of an increase to warrent the expendature.
Also I hate to sound like an ATI fanboy but I have found that ATI's drivers alow me to play some of my older games where as Nvidia's drivers tend to fix newer games and create problems for the older, i.e. Blood 2, Unreal, No One Lives Forever.
Once again thanks for the reply.
Max Death is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
PZEROFGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,553
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH
Default Re: Need help deciding on upgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Death
Relevant info for my computer:
Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon 64 3200 754 pin Processor
2 sticks CMX 512 3200LL Corsair memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg video card
Sound Blaster X-Gamer (very old) sound card


I am thinking of keeping the processor for now and buying the following:
Asus k8N4-E Motherboard
Asus Radeon X1 800Xl 256 meg video card
SB X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card

hmm i say stick with your old mobo, buy a 6800GT AGP, and another GB of ram to make it 2GB and a sound card.

or

get a mobo with pcie16
buy an eVGA 7800GT or X1800XL as yuor an ati fanboy
and sound card.

2GB will defintely help you with up coming games, and a 6800GT will do you some good for a couple of more years
__________________
Hmmm?
AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
PZEROFGH is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.