Need help deciding on i7 and MOBO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EoADark

Baseband Member
Hey...
I am having some trouble deciding what to get... there is some sales going on around my town but I am not sure if I want the i7 and mobo's they have...
So here is what I was going to get: Core i7-930 and a P55-CD53 P55 ATX. Now the catch after a bit of research I found that the 930 has a 1366 socket and the P55 is a 1156 socket. I want a P55 FTW from TigerDirect but now I have to decide on a i7. So if you guys could maybe help me out. And If you could stay with EVGA motherboards.
Thanks

I don't really think the 920 is better, from everything I've read they're essentially the same. The Core i7 930 is capable of 1x greater multiplier (21x vs 20x) so it can achieve higher clock rates. However, if this causes problems, it can always be bumped down to 20x and essentially be a Core i7 920 to achieve identical performance. The main complaint was that it is easier to get a 20x200MHz BCLK than 21x200MHz and thus the i7 920 being a lower multiplier lets the rest of the system run faster, but at that point you could just start dropping the multiplier and increasing BCLK if you want more board performance.

Other than that I'd assume any hands-on experience would vary chip to chip, some chips overclock really well and other chips do not, it doesn't matter what product line they are.

Thanks for the replies but actually I think I am going to go with the Core i7-860 and a EVGA P55 FTW ATX

If I was going skt 1156 I would save the cash and get a i5 750. If I was spending the cash on the 860 I would go 920 instead.

better if you go crossfie / sli by a few fps, triple channel ram which at the moment is not a huge advantage but as software manufactures start coding for it should be an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom