Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
So I finally scraped money together for a system, gonna go AMD cause I don't have the budget for an SB setup :(

I'm gonna go with the 890fx-G65 mobo, and I need some suggestions on the cpu.

its either the 1090t or the 955 BE. I'm torn because +2 cores and $60 more and there's less l3 cache per core. I haven't read any solid reports of which one will overclock better, cause that would play into the decision.

I can only see a $25 difference between a 2500K system and a 1090T system. Why not wait another week or 2 and save just a few more dollars?

the cpu is $85 more than the 955BE and $25 more than the 1090t. and the mobo I'm gonna get is open box so it's $114 and any of the 1155 boards I'm considering are at least $150 + (exception being the MSI G45 which is $140) so it comes out to be a lot more than $25, unless you're looking at something I'm missing.

I would never ever consider buying an open box product unless it's actually a used board and I knew the seller personally.

I would definitely wait and save a few more dollars for a SD cpu or wait on the new AMD cpu's to arrive.

the G65 is AM3+ so it'll support the new cpu's, and those new CPU's won't be released until late june at the earliest. And if the board is DOA then I'll return it and get a full refund, so I'm not too worried about that, and I've gotten plenty of open box stuff from newegg and it all works fine, it's not like they put up DOA items as open box. The worst that will happen (other than it being DOA) is that it won't come with sata cables and an out of date driver disk.

Problem with the money is that I don't have a job (not looking to get one really soon either) so I've got a budget that really isn't adjustable at all. I've got about 600 - 700 for a cpu/mobo/gpu/psu/ram/hsf. And with a setup where $450 goes right to the CPU/Mobo doesn't really interest me too much.

Also the money that I don't spend on a computer will go towards spending money over the summer for trips and ****, and without a job money is pretty scarce, so I've gotta do what I can for a nice middle ground. Also I've been without a proper desktop since my AMD 4000 x2 / 8800gt 256mb setup over 5 years ago, just had my macbook so I'm kinda done waiting.

Based on your budget I would go with the 955. Personally I don't see how a x6 is cheaper then a sb chip... the retailer I am looking at for my next build shows sb k chips @ 180 : )

well, slay I took a good hard look at an SB build again (because I feel it is worth the extra price and performance, but too much price would just knock it out completely) but I got an i5 2500k,
Antec TruePower 750w
(Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply)
MSI P67A-GD65
(Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)
4gb RipJaws
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m2305X575088X6d7a990446e3ce8e0ebd1f671e58d831
and a MSI Frozr II 6870
(Newegg.com - MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity).

All for $740, ($35 off from combo deals) and a $30 MIR on the GPU.

Overall I feel like that's a pretty solid amount of power for the price, and will be able to take the cpu up to 5ghz as well as blow away games on my 24" :D But it's also $130 more than the AMD build, and it's pretty much the same other than the cpu/mobo. So it begs the question, is a 5ghz 2500k worth it over a 4.2~4.4ghz 955be?

Also I haven't bought it yet, so any changes you can suggest are good.

Pete if you want, you can have my ati hd 5450 512mb ddr2.
If money is tight with you atleast take my card for now and save a little more.
Don't care if you go intel or amd just make sure system is what you want it to do.
If you go amd hexa-core put it to good use, and believe me my 1055t was always crying for more work until I fed it a F@H.
Still had resources to do other thigs as well, if you go SB intel quadcore ride the horse like your at the kentucky derby. ;)

Thanks for the offer, but as I said I don't have a job so my income isn't guaranteed. The next time I'll be getting money is in May (I'll be getting $250 but that's being saved for summer), so I've gotta max out what my budget will allow. I don't plan on folding at all, so most of my tasks won't really involve the 6 cores. I've always told myself that the next build I do I'm not gonna cut any corners, and I feel like with the 955BE I'm doing just that. But $130 is a lot more for a SB setup..

You should be able to save another $100 by going with the 2500K, you lose Hyper-Threading but it isn't really needed. And by next year you can probably find a deal on a 2600K and sell the 2500K if you want HT.

I'm only home for lunch right now but I'll look at this better when I get home this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom