Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

So I finally scraped money together for a system, gonna go AMD cause I don't have the budget for an SB setup

I'm gonna go with the 890fx-G65 mobo, and I need some suggestions on the cpu.

its either the 1090t or the 955 BE. I'm torn because +2 cores and $60 more and there's less l3 cache per core. I haven't read any solid reports of which one will overclock better, cause that would play into the decision.
__________________

__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

I can only see a $25 difference between a 2500K system and a 1090T system. Why not wait another week or 2 and save just a few more dollars?
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

the cpu is $85 more than the 955BE and $25 more than the 1090t. and the mobo I'm gonna get is open box so it's $114 and any of the 1155 boards I'm considering are at least $150 + (exception being the MSI G45 which is $140) so it comes out to be a lot more than $25, unless you're looking at something I'm missing.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

I would never ever consider buying an open box product unless it's actually a used board and I knew the seller personally.

I would definitely wait and save a few more dollars for a SD cpu or wait on the new AMD cpu's to arrive.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

the G65 is AM3+ so it'll support the new cpu's, and those new CPU's won't be released until late june at the earliest. And if the board is DOA then I'll return it and get a full refund, so I'm not too worried about that, and I've gotten plenty of open box stuff from newegg and it all works fine, it's not like they put up DOA items as open box. The worst that will happen (other than it being DOA) is that it won't come with sata cables and an out of date driver disk.

Problem with the money is that I don't have a job (not looking to get one really soon either) so I've got a budget that really isn't adjustable at all. I've got about 600 - 700 for a cpu/mobo/gpu/psu/ram/hsf. And with a setup where $450 goes right to the CPU/Mobo doesn't really interest me too much.

Also the money that I don't spend on a computer will go towards spending money over the summer for trips and ****, and without a job money is pretty scarce, so I've gotta do what I can for a nice middle ground. Also I've been without a proper desktop since my AMD 4000 x2 / 8800gt 256mb setup over 5 years ago, just had my macbook so I'm kinda done waiting.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

Based on your budget I would go with the 955. Personally I don't see how a x6 is cheaper then a sb chip... the retailer I am looking at for my next build shows sb k chips @ 180 : )
igame is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

well, slay I took a good hard look at an SB build again (because I feel it is worth the extra price and performance, but too much price would just knock it out completely) but I got an i5 2500k,
Antec TruePower 750w
(Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply)
MSI P67A-GD65
(Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)
4gb RipJaws
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...bd1f671e58d831
and a MSI Frozr II 6870
(Newegg.com - MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity).

All for $740, ($35 off from combo deals) and a $30 MIR on the GPU.

Overall I feel like that's a pretty solid amount of power for the price, and will be able to take the cpu up to 5ghz as well as blow away games on my 24" But it's also $130 more than the AMD build, and it's pretty much the same other than the cpu/mobo. So it begs the question, is a 5ghz 2500k worth it over a 4.2~4.4ghz 955be?

Also I haven't bought it yet, so any changes you can suggest are good.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

Pete if you want, you can have my ati hd 5450 512mb ddr2.
If money is tight with you atleast take my card for now and save a little more.
Don't care if you go intel or amd just make sure system is what you want it to do.
If you go amd hexa-core put it to good use, and believe me my 1055t was always crying for more work until I fed it a F@H.
Still had resources to do other thigs as well, if you go SB intel quadcore ride the horse like your at the kentucky derby.
-RockMan- is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

Thanks for the offer, but as I said I don't have a job so my income isn't guaranteed. The next time I'll be getting money is in May (I'll be getting $250 but that's being saved for summer), so I've gotta max out what my budget will allow. I don't plan on folding at all, so most of my tasks won't really involve the 6 cores. I've always told myself that the next build I do I'm not gonna cut any corners, and I feel like with the 955BE I'm doing just that. But $130 is a lot more for a SB setup..
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Need help deciding between 1090t and 955be

You should be able to save another $100 by going with the 2500K, you lose Hyper-Threading but it isn't really needed. And by next year you can probably find a deal on a 2600K and sell the 2500K if you want HT.

I'm only home for lunch right now but I'll look at this better when I get home this afternoon.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help pick mb for AMD x6 1090t(upgradability, max # hds, top shelf ram/video support) jimbowl New Systems | Building and Buying 2 06-10-2010 03:54 PM
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T & 1090T Reviews gurusan New Technology and Products 6 04-27-2010 02:22 PM
Leaked Phenom II X6 1090T BE Benchmarks Osiris New Technology and Products 6 04-22-2010 06:25 AM
Unofficial Benchmarks of PII X6 1090T Muffin Man New Technology and Products 10 04-14-2010 10:17 AM
Help deciding on PSU and CPU leglez New Systems | Building and Buying 9 08-27-2005 11:06 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.