Need Help Confirming Custom Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX-6R

Solid State Member
Putting together my first custom computer and just wanted someone to check and make sure everything would be compatible with its self since. Thank you, any suggestions are also welcome.

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM (x2)

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

The main goal of this build was to handle some multimedia, light gaming, homework, and be balls fast. I didnt include a sound card because i wasnt sure if it would make a difference from the mother board and ill be using Windows Vista 64-bit.

Again Thank You

Yeah with a computer like that you're pretty much garaunteed to be "Balls fast." Why 2 DVD drives? I can't see any reason for having more than one unless you're copying media from one DVD to another.

You might want to consider getting a Seagate brand HDD instead of that Samsung, Seagate is pretty much regarded as one of the highest quality HDD manufacturers out there: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular recording) ST3500630A 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Don't get 4 gigs of that RAM, you won't need that much, and Crucial Ballistix is better. Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Also you probably won't need a 700W PSU for that system. I'm not an expert on PSU's so I don't want to make any recommendations, but you might wanna hold off on that and see if someone else has an opinion about it.

Other than that, it looks good.

Thanks, yea my friend who recommened the DVD drives said to go for it since there so cheap (roughly $30 Each) im also guessing that they can write cd's? The HDD was chosen pretty much at random something with 500gb to hold everything. My main concern was that once ordered everything would work with itself.

Thanks

They'll be able to write CD's. Everything looks compatible, it should work out great for you. Oh and I just saw you weren't sure if you needed a sound card. The motherboard's integrated sound should be fine for you, most people can't notice the difference between onboard audio and a dedicated sound card.

While the motherboard you have chosen is great, the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R is almost as good, and considerably cheaper. You could save more money by getting the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L if you don't need the RAID functions of the DS3R. Both these (and your board as well) are recommended often around here.

I'll have to disagree with Blitersety on the choice of HDD. The one he recommended is indeed good, but uses a fat ribbon cable. I'm not a fan of the ribbon cables, and I think a SATA3.0 drive would perform amazingly. Try this one instead:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I do, however, agree with Blitersety's RAM recommendation, and you likely won't need 4 GB:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Your Power Supply *does* seem like overkill... but also seems like it is a pretty good deal for the money. Just looking at stats, it seems to be an excellent PSU. Others recommended often here are:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
and one I'll throw this one in cause I like it:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

All three would be more than enough to power your system. Maybe you could even look for something cheaper if you're on a budget.

Excellent choice in burner(s). The exact one I was planning on getting.

Don't think you'd need a sound card... some people prefer them, but I can only notice the difference in certain situations.

hmm... lets cover stuff...

the 4gb 2x2gb Kits aren't usually that great because they limit overclocking capability, and who really needs 4gb unless your into CAD, plus you'll need a 64bit OS to recognize it on Windows
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

why get that ripple prone PSU? get a Corsair 520hx

no need for the 640mb gts, get the 320mb GTS for 200$ less...
(get the cheapest one there)

you can cut corners by taking a cheaper board, since most of em overclock about the same... but this is purely your choice:

if you wanna save some extra cash for like a soundcard (or something)

get: abit ip35 (for RAID if you want that)

or: Abit IP35-e (if you don't want RAID)

these are a bit better than the gigabyte p35's we usually recommend, because they overclock a bit better and are cheaper

Thanks guys so much for the feedback. Couple things i wasnt planning on overclocking this (at least not right away) and money, well the budget was $1700 so i tried to get as close as possible. I dont really understand how memory works, i always assumed the more the better and ive been told im gonna need a truck load to run Vista. So ill be changing the RAM,HDD, and the power supply.

why get that ripple prone PSU? get a Corsair 520hx
i didnt understand that due to the link but ill definitly look into it.

Thank You

The corsair is a much more stable psu. vernong just posted the same link twice. The ocz psu's have been known to have a high ripple which can often kill components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom