Need help on choosing PC PARTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longboarder - For an SLI motherboard, try the one I was going to originally include in this build; ASUS P5B Deluxe. Its not that much better than the P5B-E, but if you want SLI and some other goodies, go with this one as its actually one of the cheaper SLI motherboards.

As for RAID 0, it DOES increase data access rates. You have to decide whether its worth it to you to get two drives for the storage of one, but faster speeds. The performance granted with 10K RPM HDDs is a little greater than a RAID 0 setup, but the HDDs also cost more, and don't give quite as much storage room.

Sidenote: I'm not very well-read on Master/Slave setups, they were...before my time. However, with SATA HDDs, there is no Master/Slave designation. Each HDD is it's own. So basically with SATA, you would not be keeping the data on a Slave HDD, just a seperate HDD.

Also note that the P5B Deluxe has 7 SATA ports, but only 1 PATA port (2 devices on one port). So you will only be able to connect 2 CD/DVD drives or 2 IDE Hard Drives, or one of each.

TriEclipse

I misspoke about calling the drive a slave, it's a SATA HDD, I'm just used to calling my data drive the slave from older PC setups.

I only have 60GB on the OS HDD of my current PC (and that could be cut in half with ease) so I'm not worried about space, I'd rather spend the money on speed. What would you recommend for a 10K RPM HDD?

Also, I'm not read up on when Vista is going to be released, how horrible would it be to put Win 2000 on the system you laid out until I could buy a copy of Vista? I'd hate to have to buy XP and then pay for an upgrade unless it's the only thing to do.

Thanks for the leads :)

Sleeeeep :tired: must sleeeep

Vista is released January 30th. If you do install an OS other than XP, be sure to reformat the HDD before installing Vista, unless you're planning to upgrade.

10K RPM Hard Drives aren't cheap. There is a 36.7GB version ($105) which is what I would recommend for you, but lots of people prefer the 74GB version ($160). Also a 150GB 16MB cache version ($220). But on your budget, you'd be better off going with a regular 7200RPM HDD.

Yes, Sleep. Lovely thing. I should try it sometime. (1:34am) :amazed:

Well I looked deeper into the various products you recommended and I really like what I'm seeing as peoples reviews and how it matches up in the direction I was already going. I added a little bit to the original $1400 rig. I went with the TT Tsunami case, threw 2 of the 36.7GB 10K drives in for RAID 0 and added a second DVD drive. The system sits at $1600 shipped so that's acceptable.

Now it's question time again :)

I'd like to order everything I need to have a running PC in one order. For instance say they didn't send out a SATA cable with the drives, I checked and they do, but that would suck if I'm out chasing down hardware that I didn't order cause I'm a n00b, instead of pulling my hair out figuring out how to put this together :p

Am I missing anything simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom