Need help with buying a gaming desktop

ImSofaKingAwesome

Baseband Member
Well the day has finally come, the hard drive on my laptop is done. At this point, I want to get the desktop. The only problem is....my mother. She's gotten to the point where she does not want anything shipped in or shipped out because she can not afford it. I honestly don't know her problem is myself, but I must obey. She also doesn't trust me building my PC, which is the best way to go. So the only way I can buy a gaming PC is in person, in store. The worry is that places like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. don't have real high quality gaming computers. I'm stuck and I have no idea what to do. I'll throw out a price range of under 2000 just in case a miracle happens. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tech-Forums

you will most likely get gripped wen you get store bought. im confused tho cant afford shipping
but want to spend close to 2k on a desktop. are you out the usa ? maybe were you are is expensive to ship is why i ask.

I'm in USA. Again, I don't understand what my mother's problem is. I guess she just doesn't understand that stores aren't going to have perfect high quality gaming PCs. They need to be bought online. I just....I just don't know.

another option is looking on craig list. i know pc shops tend to post high end custom build pcs u can just go pick up. i see them in my are all the time.

That's exactly what I thought. I suppose I'll be back to console gaming now.

Here's what you can do. Walmart.com actually sells Cyberpower and iBuypower PCs from their site. See if you can get one shipped to location that you can pick up. This would be a better option than say going to Best Buy because they will try to soak your budget up with junk. Those links we can actually look at and tell you what to get.

Here's what you can do. Walmart.com actually sells
Cyberpower and iBuypower PCs from their site. See if you can get one shipped to location that you can pick up..

This item has been added to your cart.

Item image
iBuyPower 'Build Your Own' Gaming Desktop Bundle -Select Case, Processor, Memory, Hard Drive, and more

Case
(AZZA Solaris USB 3.0 Chassis)
Motherboard & Processor
(Intel Core i5-4430 Desktop Processor (Desktop Bundle))
Operating System
(Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit Edition)
Memory
(8GB G.Skill Ripjaws)
Hard Drive
(1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
Graphics Card
(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB Graphics Card (Desktop Bundle))
Keyboard Mouse
(Logitech Wireless Mouse M185 w/ USB Nano Wireless Receiver, Black)
Optical Drive
(Blu-ray Disc Rewriter Optical Drive)
Qty: 1 @ $939.00

I agree with mguire on this, didn't know cyberpower pc does this now..
You could in the mean time read up on neweggs.com shipping information and small print.
Most people here who have bought from newegg.com or any other leading computer store havent had much of a problem.

If your mother is afraid of the computer being stolen, ups can hold it at one of their stores if you tell them to in advance.
If the shipping cost and times seems weary to her, you need to speak up and reassure nothing wont go wrong.
If so you be the person to handle that yourself like most of us do.
Shipping back shouldn't be a problem if you need to rma, read the terms from the site and follow their instructions.
You want to ship back keep the shipping box and repackage the item and send it back usps.
You can go online and purchase a label for 7.00 priority mail.
Leave the package in a bag or near the door way and tell your mail man/woman not to forget to look and take it.

Now if its none of those reasons and its her money with no credit card..
I can understand her being touchy and annoyed about money.
You can pay with payapal through your bank with a debit card, not the instant transfer crap paypal screws up often.

Best of luck on your gaming machine, besides that use the computer for more than gaming.
The cpu I listed should wolf down through any daily work.

Last edited:
You can also tell your mom about Reseller Ratings.com, People rate different on line and other stores about ship, customer service and ease of returns.
Here's Newegg for example:
Newegg.com (USA) Reviews - newegg.com Ratings at ResellerRatings
They rate a respectful 9 out of 10

Now check Best Buy :
Best Buy Reviews - bestbuy.com Ratings at ResellerRatings
A very dismal 1.96 out of 10
Maybe your mom can get a better understanding about some on line stores compared to the local brick & mortar stores

BTW: if you have 2K to spend, get a Samsung 250 gb SSD drive with that iBuy Power or Cyber Power PC

Last edited:
When I was younger and didn't have my own card I had the same issues. My parents were the real paranoid type about buying things online or even helping me buy used parts from people here.

Back
Top Bottom