Need Help with a $700 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinsil

Baseband Member
Trying to keep the build at around $700-800.

Here is what I am thinking of going with right now... The most graphic intensive game I play right now is World of Warcraft on a 1280x1024 resolution. I am wondering if this setup will give me good FPS in even the the most intensive spots. So I'm debating on whether upgrading to an 8800GTS and trying to save some money on other parts, or going with this build. If there's any parts where you think I'm overspending, I'd appreciate any input. I would hope to be able to maintain maximum FPS values for CS:Source and get great FPS for World of Warcraft. Other than those two games, most other games I play on the computer are strategy games that don't require great computers. I'm hoping that this build will allow for upgrading in a couple years if I decide to get a new graphics card without requiring me to change out everything.

So after the wall of text.. Here's my current build:

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Link to Case

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Link to Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
Link to CPU

PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Link to Video Card

XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V 550W Power Supply
Link to Power Supply

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Link to Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Link to HD

Sony NEC Optiarc Black
Link to CD/DVD Burner

The thing I'm really not sure on is if I need that much of a high-end CPU. Seems pretty expensive to me. I feel pretty good about everything else listed on here, just not sure if I need to spend $195 on a CPU for a $700 build.

The main things I hope to accomplish with this build are:
1) Maintain at least 40-50 FPS in WoW for everything from end game raiding to sitting at the Auction House
2) Maintain a high FPS in CS in every aspect of the game (At least 60-70 FPS)
3) Keep everything nice and cool. I'd like it to be fairly quiet, but a little bit of noise doesn't bother me. I probably won't be over-clocking too much, if at all. Not sure on this as I haven't looked into a whole lot.

Appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Umm... if all you're playing is WOW, CS and a few strategy games... the only limiting factor in this computer will be your internet service. I mean seriously. WOW came out in 2005 and CS has been out for a while too. That computer will have no trouble at all playing those games. And yes, stick with the E6750 it's a good CPU if you don't want or can't afford quad core.

Yeah, I suppose I'll stick with the E6750. Will this computer be able to upgrade to a 9xxx series from NVIDIA in a couple years if I decide to do an upgrade?

Will that case keep everything nice and cool?

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, the 9xxx will be PCI-E 2.0 but that's compatible with PCI-E 1.0 whcih is the current standard, so you should be fine on that.

The case looks like it should keep temperatures within acceptable parameters, especially since it can accommodate up to 7 120mm fans. The only thing is it doesn't have a see-through side panel, which isn't a big deal and won't affect the cooling, but it's just a personal preference of mine to be able to see the inside of the computer.

ya thats a great case, and dont forget like 3-4 of those extra 120mm can be 140mm....i wonder if those 2 x 140mm on top do much good, not many cases have fans up there

So I am correct in thinking that I won't need to add any after-market fans or anything to keep the system cool if I'm not over-clocking?

why no overclock?
its free and you can get a decent performance boost
and you can still overclock or not with no aftermarket fans

why no overclock?
its free and you can get a decent performance boost
and you can still overclock or not with no aftermarket fans

ya... not overclocking is the biggest bonehead move... plus you don't need to shell out more than $20 to get a good aftermarket cooler.... Arctic Freezer Pro 7

Okay, I'll add that to my list. Probably going to purchase this build within a few hours. Any other last minute suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom